Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my laptop  Probook 470 G5 (1LR91AV).
1. Do the listed components fit for my laptop and motherboard (HP 837F) ??
     RAM: KINGSTON HyperX SO-DIMM Impact (8GBx2) DDR4 2400MHz CL14,  HX424S14IB2 / 8

SSD: KINGSTON KC200 or Samsung 970 Evo plus  (SSD M.2 2280 250GB, PCIe NVMe  for both)??

2. Is this slot for M.2 SSD  PCIex4 or PCIex2 ??

Thank you in advance for your answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OEM RAM will give you the best performance since that is what the system is designed to run. I would trust Sandra that it is an x4 system and a 970 Evo Plus will run to best effect. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@sweet_child 

For RAM: HP has many suppliers, you can use CPU-Z to find out existing RAM and buy SAME to get dual channel benefit

For M.2 NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 EVO series is a good choice.

PCIex4 is backward compatible with PCIex2, system will handle it for you depending on the implementation and CPU.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I used CPU-Z and SiSoftware Sandra and I know facts about my existing RAM (SK Hynix, DDR4, 2400MHz, CL17, 260pins, 1.2V).

But I want to upgrade dual channel with better memory, not with SK Hynix which has really bad grades (low position on benchmarks) and latency.
So my question still is : "What about HyperX Impact SODIMM - 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz CL14 SODIMM"?

I know that Samsung 970 Evo plus is one of the best SSD on the market, but I don't know is my SSD module PCIe x4 or PCIe x2??

Because if it is PCIe x2, it will be 2 times slower for Samsung 970 EVO plus (for example, instead of the standard read and write speed of 3500/3200  it would be a maximum of 1700/1600).

Thanks in advance for your reply. 

HP Recommended

We can provide some advice but you may not like it. On the memory, HP notebooks are designed to use OEM RAM running at stock latencies. You can install the performance memory such as HyperX, but it will perform like the Hynix with CL=17 latency so you might as well save a few bucks and get the stock stuff. 

The M.2 NVME SSDs HP installs are specced to run at maximum read of 2150 mbps. This does not mean an x4 such as the 970 Evo will not work it just means HP does not really tell us in the Manual if the slot is x2 or x4. Since yours is an 8th gen system it should be x4. CPU-Z or Sandra ought to tell you the specs of the M.2 PCie interface. I believe the slot will be x4 and you can get full performance out of an x4 product but since the specs as published do not confirm that, neither can I. 

HP just does not fully support inquiring upgraders and there is a certain amount of trial and error that is necessary unfortunately. 

HP Recommended

Thanks Huffer for your reply and for advice.

For RAM: You say that any proper memory for my system will work only on CL=17, nothing better then that? Then, what are my options for best performance? Just OEM RAM or something else?

For SSD: The Sandra says that it is PCIex4 on System Bus 1, but I was skeptical because of other people's posts on the forums (you tube too) before. Kingston Customer Service told me that my laptop was incompatible with the KC2000, but I can't find a reasons for that.
And I agree with you, HP does not really tell us in the Manual if the slot is x2 or x4. I want to get the maximum value for money, not the half effect.

HP Recommended

OEM RAM will give you the best performance since that is what the system is designed to run. I would trust Sandra that it is an x4 system and a 970 Evo Plus will run to best effect. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.