Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15n-203sx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the wireless network card on my notebook

Model no.                     HP Pavilion 15-n203sx

Product no.                  F9U07EA#A2N

BIOS Version/Date     Insyde F.71, 13-03-2017

to

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 WLAN module 

Model number Intel 7260HMW

SPN 784639-005

FCC ID PD97260H

intel 7260hmw.jpg

The currently installed WLAN module is Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn 1×1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 combo adapter

It has 2 antennas connected to the main & aux port & is a half size mini pci-e card (hmc form factor)

The maintenance & service guide of my notebook lists the following WLAN modules

WLAN Module.jpg

So, I would like to know the following

1. Does my laptop have a BIOS whitelist? I don't want to pay for a card & later find out that it won't work because of whitelist issue.

2. Will this card (Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 7260 see pic above) work on my laptop, even though it's technically not listed in my laptop's service guide as supported WLAN module ? (though very similar one is listed; Intel Dual-Band Wireless-N 7260)

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes it will, but I recommend you get this model 7260 AC card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0            HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon.

Search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I searched for hp spare part number 710661-001 on amazon & I found that 3 part numbers are listed in description for the Intel Wireless AC 7260 model which are 710661-001 / 756753-001 / 784639-005.However, part number 784639-005 is displayed in the image.

Will the Intel Wireless AC 7260 card with any of the above mentioned part numbers work in my laptop?

Or do I have to specifically get spare part number 710661-001 & not 784639-005?

I would really appreciate further clarification from you to eliminate any doubts about compatibility. Thanks

Image from amazon attached below

amazon intel 7260hmw.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I really can't say.

I guess since the listing says the card is good for HP PC's, it should work.

I didn't take any chances, and ordered the 710661-001 card from China on eBay.

I installed it in an HP 350 G1 business-class notebook (Intel 4th gen core processor like your model).

It took two weeks to get to the USA, but I got the part number I wanted.

Most of the Chinese sellers ship worldwide.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=710661-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

HP Recommended

Sorry, for the delayed reponse.

You're right! I am now certain that part number 784639-005 is incompatible with my notebook.

Going by the reviews posted online as well as hp partsurfer, I believe that older versions of Intel 7260HMW wifi card with spn 710661-001 were whitelisted & thus work in some hp business class notebooks similar to the HP 350 G1 you installed it in

Unfortunately, it is neither listed in the maintenance & service guide of my notebook nor does hp partsurfer list my pavilion notebook as compatible with 710661-001

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=710661-001 

I searched the official HP Spare Parts store, only to be greeted with this message "Part is not orderable in the HP Parts Store"

I will try to confirm compatibility of part number 710661-001 with an HP authorized parts reseller to ensure that I don't have to deal with the dreaded "WiFi module not supported error" on boot. I think it could take a while.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.