Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
GhostCat6 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade graphics card

HP 2000 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have been looking on multiple sites to see if I can upgrade  my Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000 to something better so I can download an animation program. However so far all the answers I have found only end in me having to buy a new laptop.

Is there a way for me to simply buy a new graphics card that will work and an external hard drive to make up for the lack of space I have on my computer? Or do I have no choice but to go and buy a new laptop?

2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
14031 1327 3147
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade graphics card

@GhostCat6

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but unlike desktops, which use cards, laptops have chips that are soldered directly to the motherboard or system board, or come in the form of "modules".

Only a very limited subset of HP laptops actually allow the replacement of processor, audio, video or WiFi "modules" and, as far as I can tell, yours is not one of these models.

This means there is really no way to upgrade the video, WiFi, or processor on your laptop. You're stuck with what came with the PC.

You COULD consider putting an SSD in the laptop, but that really only helps with reducing the boot time and program load times. Once the game is loaded into memory and running, the SSD doesn't help real-time performance.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
GhostCat6 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Upgrade graphics card

Hi thanks for responding so fast!

Yeah I figured that might be the case but I was really hoping there might be some other way around it. But I guess not. And unfourtunately an SSD card won't do anything to help me download this program because it still requires better graphics what I have now is not compatible. So it looks like I have no choice but to buy a new laptop oh well.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation