Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
notebook 17-p161dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to install a new motherboard because of overheating issues. Now my laptop won't even power on and shut off. It's dead. So I'm wondering, is there a newer motherboard that will fit into my case and be a better/faster motherboard? This is the number of the motherboard I have now. 809985-601

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So following up your motherboard has the A10 processor soldered on so it is the best possible motherboard that will fit in that laptop. The best you could do is get a like kind replacement which obviously is not an upgrade. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@union8651,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Below are the tested motherboard on your computer.

• AMD A10-7300 (1.9 GHz, up to 3.2, GHz, 2 MB L2), quad core 20 W, Max DDR3L-1600
  • AMD A8-7050 (2.2 GHz up to 3.0 GHz, 2 MB L2), dual core 15 W, Max DDR3L-1600
  • AMD A6-6310 (1.8 GHz up to 2.4 GHz, 2 MB L2), quad core 15 W, 1600 MHz DDR3L
  • AMD E1-6010 (1.35 GHz up to 1 MB L2), dual core 10 W, Max DDR3L-1333 809988-xx1

You can install any of the above motherboards on your computer. If you want to install any other motherboard you can do so at your own risk as other motherboards are not tested by HP.

Please refer to the below service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04777516

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So following up your motherboard has the A10 processor soldered on so it is the best possible motherboard that will fit in that laptop. The best you could do is get a like kind replacement which obviously is not an upgrade. 

HP Recommended

I thank the both of you for your great responses. I did find a new motherboard for this laptop, so I ordered it. It is the same one that was in it and brand new. Thanks again for your replies and for taking the time to answer this question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.