Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Zbook G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Team...

I would like to replace the SATA HDD with an SSD drive while keeping the mSATA32GB drive. So my questions are:

1. Can I install an SSD and boot off it?

2. Do you have a model number or part number that you can suggest?

3. What happens to the mSATA 32GB drive which came with the ZBook

Regards

Rajat Bhargava

HPE Nearline Storage

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You just install the SSD using the same hardware that supported the HDD. 

I always recommend the Samsung 850 Evo for a good 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD. 

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-850-EVO-250GB-2-5-Inch-SATA-III-Internal-SSD-MZ-75E250B-AM-/253057590...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

1. Yes absolutely just place it where the hard drive is now. 

2.  SSDs are everywhere. What size (capacity) do you want what is your budget and where do you live (country)?

3.  The mSATA 32 gig will still be there in disk management but will no longer be accelerating anything. I would just remove it as a 32 gig drive is not much good for anything and it is no faster than a SATA 2.5 inch SSD will be. 

Heres the Service Manual:

Manual

Note page 2 of the Manual where it says the 32 gig flash cache was not available on models equipped with an SSD. This is for the reason I have already given. Its not really useful with an SSD as the main drive. 

See pages 52 and 58. The mSSD should be easily removed from inside the Service Cover bay. 

Post back with any more questions. 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I am in India and looking for 256 / 512GB SSD

I am not sure if the cabling will be there to install the SSD in the HDD bay

Regards

Rajat Bhargava

HP Recommended

You just install the SSD using the same hardware that supported the HDD. 

I always recommend the Samsung 850 Evo for a good 2.5 inch SATA-III SSD. 

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-850-EVO-250GB-2-5-Inch-SATA-III-Internal-SSD-MZ-75E250B-AM-/253057590...

HP Recommended

Thank you so much...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you succeed in changing your hard drive by SSD? Can you boot your Zbook on SSD?

Thanks a lot for your replay.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I wish to replace my HD with a SSD SATA but is it possible to boot on SSD with a ZBOOK G1?

Thanks for your reply

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi...

Yes I was able to and ran great for a year till the time came to replace the unit.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot Rajat for your response.

Did you upgrade the BIOS or simply change the BOOT priority to the SSD?

Regards

HP Recommended

So I just removed the regular HDD and put the SSD in the mSATA slot. Worked fine for me. No BIOS update needed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.