Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook Z9D64EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion Notebook17-ab250na which has 128GB SSD which I want to increase to 512GB. Can anyone recommend suitable upgrade please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual 

Start on p. 40 to remove back cover. Your laptop can accept a PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD, which is slotted right next to the hard drive. The one you have is SATA and an NVME will be several times faster. 

Best choice:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S500BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MFBLN7K/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&key...

Post back if you need help with software migration or anything else. If this is the info you needed please accept as solution. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Service Manual:

Manual 

Start on p. 40 to remove back cover. Your laptop can accept a PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD, which is slotted right next to the hard drive. The one you have is SATA and an NVME will be several times faster. 

Best choice:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-V7S500BW-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07MFBLN7K/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&key...

Post back if you need help with software migration or anything else. If this is the info you needed please accept as solution. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for very prompt response to my plea for help. Great to know there are kind and helpful people out there.

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer, Thanks for previous help of specifying SSD upgrade which I have now received. Do you know if there is a suitable caddy case to fit the 970 EVO Plus NVMeM.2 into the DVD drive to clone the original SSD drive and then just swap the two SSD over or  will I have to use an external hard drive for this? Thank you.

HP Recommended

They make a usb to NVME adapter and that is what I would use if you want to do a simultaneous clone. Another way to do it if you have an external USB hard drive is just to make a whole system backup image onto the usb external drive, put the nvme in the laptop and restore the backup image onto the nvme disk. Macrium Reflect Free will make backup images for storage and restore them to another location and also can do in place direct cloning. I have not seen an NVME caddy for a DVD type sled; that does not mean one does not exist but that device would make no sense for a lot of reasons. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SSK-Aluminum-Enclosure-Adapter-External/dp/B07TXCMQ8B/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

HP Recommended

Thank you once again for prompt clear advice. I think I'll try the simultaneous clone and get the USB to NVMe adaptor.

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

I've now successfully completed the upgrade with your help but I used Samsung Data Migration free software. Only problem I encountered was that computer did not recognize new SSD when connecting via the USB but once I initialized it the migration was easy and only took about 17mins to clone 128Gb to new SSD which when put into laptop everything worked perfectly and I now have 350 GB spare capacity. Thanks again for help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.