Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-e118dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to upgrade the mini Wifi card which is standard for the laptop at 2.4GHZ to Dua band 2.4/5.0 GHZ 802.11 ac or abgn card. Is it possible to upgrade the laptops WiFi card so that it is able to be on both 2.4  and 5.0 GHZ 

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to, if your notebook currently has two antenna leads attached to the wireless card.

Since your notebook has an AMD processor and chipset, you would be limited to installing a Broadcom dual band wireless N card with bluetooth, or a Broadcom dual band wireless AC card with bluetooth.

99% of the time, Intel wireless cards don't work on AMD platforms.

If your notebook only has one antenna lead, you would have to be willing and able to take the whole notebook apart including the display panel area, to properly run a second antenna.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to, if your notebook currently has two antenna leads attached to the wireless card.

Since your notebook has an AMD processor and chipset, you would be limited to installing a Broadcom dual band wireless N card with bluetooth, or a Broadcom dual band wireless AC card with bluetooth.

99% of the time, Intel wireless cards don't work on AMD platforms.

If your notebook only has one antenna lead, you would have to be willing and able to take the whole notebook apart including the display panel area, to properly run a second antenna.

HP Recommended

I checked and some of the Broadcom specifically say they will not work with HP Laptops and then others sites say the same pci card will not work with HP. A little confusing. So you are sure any Broadcom dual band wireless AC  will work with HP laptop of my model running Windows 10? Just want to be sure before pushing the button to purchase.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I cannot guarantee with 100% certainty any wireless card will work, but this Broadcom wlan card should if you want AC...

This assumes you have already confirmed that your notebook has two wireless antennas attached to the current wlan card.

DO NOT rely on the illustration in the service manual for confirmation.  Visually check your actual notebook.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

HP Part # 724935-001

HP Recommended

I bought the cards and installed and they work perfectly thanks. I Wish they would have upgraded the information on the website because what I found said that it could NOT be upgraded on the HP website for support. I give you a gold medal sir/madam! Thanks again as I am zooming on the 5.0 Ghz with the cord and I also now have Bluetooth. The drivers were quick because Windows 10 found them and upgraded them automatically and the bluetooth took about 3 minutes to find, download and update after I updated it via the Device Manager. Whew! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Thanks for the feedback regarding the cards working, and glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.