Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cc100ni

Good day
I have an HP laptop which I want to upgrade the HDD to SSD. The question I have is will this one work in my laptop?

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-p5-ssd

or is this a better one?

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct1000mx500ssd1

I prefer the P5 SSd compared to the mx500

But will only get the P5 if it is compatible. I don't know if I have an sata, pcie, nvme slot and I'm not confident in opening it myself to check.

Also will I be able to keep the HDD with the SSD - depending on the type of SSD my laptop takes

Please let me know if it is

Any feedback will be aprreciated

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, chapter 1 of the service manual indicates that the HP 15-cc1xx models have a M.2 slot that supports NVMe SSD's.

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

The Crucial P5 should work fine, but I want to let you know based on my experience that the P5 runs rather hot.

I have one in a Dell Optiplex 7050 MT, and I felt the need to add a heat sink to it so that it ran in the 45 C to50 C range.

You won't have that luxury in a notebook due to the limited clearance.

Other than that one drawback the Crucial P5 drive is fantastic.

Can you get the Samsung 980 (not 980 Pro) or the Western Digital Blue SN570 in South Africa?

They are newer technology and may run cooler than the Crucial P5.

Samsung 980 PCIe 3.0 SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global

WD Blue SN570 NVMe™ SSD | Western Digital

You can retain the 2.5" drive, but you can only use it for storage.

If you retain Windows on the drive, the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the NVMe SSD.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, chapter 1 of the service manual indicates that the HP 15-cc1xx models have a M.2 slot that supports NVMe SSD's.

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

The Crucial P5 should work fine, but I want to let you know based on my experience that the P5 runs rather hot.

I have one in a Dell Optiplex 7050 MT, and I felt the need to add a heat sink to it so that it ran in the 45 C to50 C range.

You won't have that luxury in a notebook due to the limited clearance.

Other than that one drawback the Crucial P5 drive is fantastic.

Can you get the Samsung 980 (not 980 Pro) or the Western Digital Blue SN570 in South Africa?

They are newer technology and may run cooler than the Crucial P5.

Samsung 980 PCIe 3.0 SSD | Samsung Semiconductor Global

WD Blue SN570 NVMe™ SSD | Western Digital

You can retain the 2.5" drive, but you can only use it for storage.

If you retain Windows on the drive, the notebook will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first and not the NVMe SSD.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at the WD one.
if I decide to install windows on the SSD, but keep the HDD simply for storage will that work. or will there be confusion on boot?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

That should be fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.