Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

How do I know which SSD I should purchase to fit my HP Notebook to install OS on it ?

The laptop came with OS installed , I can't find any serial label ... I want to avoid buying OS again/

tnx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Before answer this question, it is crucially to lnow the exact model of your laptop. You can look tech details of your laptop and buy the ssd with same form-factor(2.5 inch, 2280, etc) and interface  (sata, m-sata, m2 sata, m2 nvme) from A or B-brand, and in 99.9% of cases it will do the job.

About windows - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-dying-transfer-license-to-new-hd-in...

The windows license is linked to mother board.

Searching "transferring windows 10 license to new hard drive" gives lot of answers. You can also ask the instructions from microsoft.

You can also get windows key by running wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey in command prompt (running as admibistrator may be needed).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Before answer this question, it is crucially to lnow the exact model of your laptop. You can look tech details of your laptop and buy the ssd with same form-factor(2.5 inch, 2280, etc) and interface  (sata, m-sata, m2 sata, m2 nvme) from A or B-brand, and in 99.9% of cases it will do the job.

About windows - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-dying-transfer-license-to-new-hd-in...

The windows license is linked to mother board.

Searching "transferring windows 10 license to new hard drive" gives lot of answers. You can also ask the instructions from microsoft.

You can also get windows key by running wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey in command prompt (running as admibistrator may be needed).

HP Recommended

So clone with an Image (Acronis) should work fine ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.