Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-e009AX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know if i'm able to upgrade my wifi card to 5ghz AC. 

HP Pavilion 15-e009AX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@itsJENmofo 

Your machine was built around 2013 therefore due to the whitelist, the chance to upgrade to new wifi card is none. Please use the following option

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking/Adapters/67965-USB-AC53-NANO

There are many similar adapters around and cheaper too.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@itsJENmofo 

Your machine was built around 2013 therefore due to the whitelist, the chance to upgrade to new wifi card is none. Please use the following option

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking/Adapters/67965-USB-AC53-NANO

There are many similar adapters around and cheaper too.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Was afraid this was the case. I have a faulty usb port and currently use an adapter, i was hoping to free up 1 of my working ports.  Thanks for the Info. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @itsJENmofo 

Your notebook's model series does not have a BIOS whitelist.

I cannot find any specs on it though.

You can upgrade the internal wifi card in your model to a dual band AC adapter, but before I give you a replacement card recommendation with the HP part number, I need to know if your notebook has an Intel core or AMD processor.

Intel cards generally don't work in older notebooks like yours with AMD processors, so you have to use a certain model Broadcom AC card for the AMD models.

HP Recommended

It has an AMD A6-5200 processor. 

The current wifi card is a Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn if that is of any help

Thankyou

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There should be two wifi antenna cables connected to the Ralink wifi card in there now.

Upgrading to a dual band card will require two antenna cables.

I will give you these two options -- one for AC and one for dual band N--only for cost reasons...AC being more expensive.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001

Max throughput of 867 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 730668-001

Max throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band,

You should be able to find the cards on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Before installing the replacement card, go to the windows control panel>programs>uninstall a program.

If there is any Ralink bluetooth software installed, uninstall it.

Then to to the device manager and uninstall both the Ralink bluetooth and ralink wifi adapters and check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC, remove the battery and install the replacement card.

HP Recommended

Thankyou so much. Exactly the information i was looking for. Even if theres only a 50% chance it works its worth trying for me as my 1 spare usb port isnt enough. Thanks again

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know how your wifi card upgrade project went.

HP Recommended

Just wanted to update.

Advice from Paul_Tikkanen worked.

I have just replaced the wifi card sucessfully.

I am now able to transfer files from my NAS to my laptop at speeds ranging from 16-20MB/s. Its as fast as speeds i get from directly plugging in my USB2.0 Hdds. 

THANKYOU SO MUCH

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.