Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
DV6 6030el
Linux
Dear Community

It seems impossible today to get in touch with a human at HP (no email address, no form to fill, nothing just a stupid robot in the chat).

I was about to say, I am an happy client since 2010 until I tried to get in touch with someone at HP for a clarification. 

I own an "old" laptop (model. DV6 6030el) and since everything works pretty well I was considering to upgrade some components. One of them would be the wifi module, using the newest AX200 from Intel with half-size PCIe form factor.

But I have seen on the web that HP blocks via BIOS all non-approved components. It that true? Is that valid for consumer products as well? How can I know if the BIOS installed on my laptop has some sort of whitelist?

I do not see the point to prevent the user to customize their own products, perhaps makes sense from new products which have been launched more recently, but why to keep very old product locked down? 

I do not see the interest of buying another outdate wifi module which has similar specifications and performance as mine. If the limitation in BIOS is confirmed, is there a chance that HP provides a workaround or a patch to unlock the BIOS.

Best regards,
Luigi
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Luigi84

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

All if not most Consumer computers have a customized lock BIOS which is locked.

Unfortunately there is no way to bypass the BIOS limitation since it is by design

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.