Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G60-127CL Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Machine: HP G60-127CL Notebook

Problem: Upgraded win10 from 32 bit to 64 bit awhile back which caused my NVIDIA 8200M to not be able to start properly.

Have tried numerous NVIDIA drivers including older ones.  Deleting the card, new installs vs updated installs.  My guess is that the NVIDIA update for 64 bit operation is missing the proper configuration strings.  NVIDIA does not seem to care about such a really old product which is understandable -- but the machine is in great shape otherwise...  I have a soft spot for these machines and try to keep as many as I can out of the landfill.

This is an older machine that I use daily for non CPU intensive tasks but the networking error causes the rendering of simple webpages to be painfully slow...  I know I could just give up and switch to Linux but this is my last hope before that. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

System Description:

HP G60-127GL Device Description.pngGEFORCE 8200 Graphics configuration error.pngGEFORCE 8200 Graphics configuration error page 2.png

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the ethernet adapter that isn't working.

The graphics adapter is listed under the Display adapters device manager category.

It should show up as a nVidia 8200M graphics adapter.

If it shows up as a Microsoft Basic display adapter, then you need to install the nvidia 8200 graphics driver.

The nForce networking controller is installed by the nforce chipset driver for which there are no W10 drivers, so the only suggestion In can offer would be to try manually installing the driver.

Run the below driver. If it installs the ethernet controller, great. If not...

This package contains the driver that enables the NVIDIA nForce MCP77MV Chipset in the supported notebook models and operating systems.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39501-40000/sp39535.exe

...go to the device manager, and click on the problem ethernet controller device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp39535.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

If you see a Microsoft Basic display adapter listed under the Display Adapters device manager category,

Download and save, but do not run this graphics driver.

This package provides the graphics driver for the NVIDIA nForce MCP77MV Chipset in the supported notebook/laptop models and operating systems. This driver enables graphic display and provides a user interface to access display properties.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45230.exe

Download and install this free file utility. The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the graphics driver you saved.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the driver file into its folder name (sp45230).

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click to expand the Display adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display adapter listed there. Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, but this time, at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created>VistaWin7_64>Display>NVHM (Setup information file), and see if the driver installs that way.

If so, restart the PC, and hopefully the graphics will be working just fine.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul -- 8200M graphics driver is happy.

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller  -- I did install the package for the mcp77mv chipset (sp39535) manually after deleting the controller and rebooting.  Attached is a short history from today -- the device migration did not work properly since something is "ambiguous"...  Apparently I cannot attach a file with the event monitor info to this email.  Soooo I uploaded the event monitor output to my dropbox for you to look at if you wish.

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fln0lf3ofe1vvg0/Networking%20controller%20update%20failure.evtx?dl=0 

Thank you so much for your time and effort.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I took a look at the file you attached and it appears there is a problem with the driver.

So what I have done is to go to the Nvidia website and see if they have a newer driver than the HP one and they do.

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to try this newer driver and see if it works.  The setup information file name is different than the one that is not working for you currently.

You are going to need to use 7-Zip for this one too like you did the graphics driver.

Download and save, but do not run this chipset driver file.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/30655/en-us

Uninstall the current ethernet device, check the uninstall driver box, restart the PC and manually install the above driver using 7-zip to extract the exe file into a driver folder.

Select 7-Zip from the list of items on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the driver file into its folder name.

Once that is done, go to the device manager, click on the ethernet controller device needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab. Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and at the bottom of that window, select the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click on Have Disk, and browse to the driver folder 7-Zip created>Ethernet>nvfd6x64 (Setup information file), and see if the driver installs that way.

Restart the PC, and hopefully the ethernet controller will be working just fine.

The above driver contains driver support for the ethernet hardware ID that has the problem.

[Manufacturer]
%Nvidia% = Nvidia,NTamd64.6.0,NTamd64.6.1

%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET73_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07DE
%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET73_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07DD
%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET73_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_07DF
%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET77_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0760
%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET77_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0761
%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET77_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0762
%NVENETFD.DeviceDesc% = NVENET77_VISTA.NDI, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0763

If that doesn't get the ethernet controller to work, unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

This driver is the newest one released by Nvidia.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.