Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-AU171TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In 2017, I purchased HP Pavillion 15 series laptop.

Now I want to upgrade my laptop's SSD and RAM,

I have 2 ques. for upgrading those modules.

1st one is: Does it support NVME SSD's?

2nd ques is: Does it support 2400 MHz DDR4 ram?

I already check Maintenance and Service Guide and I saw there it supports M2 SATA 3 only. There is nothing about NVME SSD. But I want to upgrade a faster SSD like Samsung NVMe SSD 960 PRO.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its not supported. It has to do with how the M.2 port is connected into the motherboard. SATA only. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Sorry but the answer to both questions is negative. The M.2 slot only supports SATA M.2 not NVME. And further, please open the laptop and inspect before buying an M.2 SSD. Many models in this series do not actually have the M.2 slot to the left of the hard drive as shown in the Manual. It actually uses DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM but "bridges" (i.e. downclocks) it to 2133 mhz and will not go faster. Max memory will be 2 x 16 = 32 gigs. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed even if not the answer you wanted to see. 

HP Recommended

I opened my laptop before, I saw a slot that was exactly like the image below.

The actual image is taken from youtube (disassemble of HP Pavilion 15 bc018ca)The actual image is taken from youtube (disassemble of HP Pavilion 15 bc018ca)

Then why my laptop won't support NVME or it's supported but the manual is wrong? 

I just want to ensure everything before buying new products. 

HP Recommended

Its not supported. It has to do with how the M.2 port is connected into the motherboard. SATA only. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.