Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion15-eh0090wm Product number:192N4UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavillion15-eh0090wm which has

8 GB DDR4-3200 in 4x2 config

according to product specifications.

I chatted with HP technical support for specs of the ram module.DDR4-3200

This is what they gave me:

DDR4-3200 dual-channel support
DDR4-2400 dual-channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR-2400)
Supports the following conƭigurations
● 16 GB (8 × 2)
● 12 GB (8 + 4)
● 8 GB (8 × 1) or (4 × 2)
● 4 GB (4 × 1)

My question number 1 is:

What does this following mean:
"DDR4-2400 dual-channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR-2400"
I don't understand what bridge to DDR4 and downgrade to DDR-2400 mean. Could someone explain.

Can I install 12 gb(8+4) ram and if I do that, will the speed  be less that is it won't work on dual channels or any other problems.

Question number 2 is: I used Crucial tool to check suitable ram for my machine. They gave me :

DDR4 3200  PC4-25600 260 pin • CL=22 • Single Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC •  • 1.2V • 1024Meg x 64

Is this the right ram for me?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC 15-eh0090wm Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I have a different model (15-ee047nr) with the same processor and it uses DDR4-3200 memory that runs at 3200 MHz.

You would want the Crucial memory the report gave you.

IMHO, you should just max it out and be done with it.

Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT2K8G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

Right now with 2 x 4 GB of memory, the PC is running in the higher performing dual channel mode.

If you remove a 4 GB chip and replace it with an 8 GB chip, you will have more memory, but it will run in the lower performing single channel mode.

In order for the memory to run in dual channel mode, it has to be installed in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB).

The DDR4-3200 dual-channel support you quoted applies to your PC since it has the Ryzen 4500 processor.

The other specs they quoted you are for notebooks with older processors.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC 15-eh0090wm Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I have a different model (15-ee047nr) with the same processor and it uses DDR4-3200 memory that runs at 3200 MHz.

You would want the Crucial memory the report gave you.

IMHO, you should just max it out and be done with it.

Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT2K8G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

Right now with 2 x 4 GB of memory, the PC is running in the higher performing dual channel mode.

If you remove a 4 GB chip and replace it with an 8 GB chip, you will have more memory, but it will run in the lower performing single channel mode.

In order for the memory to run in dual channel mode, it has to be installed in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB).

The DDR4-3200 dual-channel support you quoted applies to your PC since it has the Ryzen 4500 processor.

The other specs they quoted you are for notebooks with older processors.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.