Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-cf1599sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I wonder could somebody comment about possibilities to upgrade from the existing SSD/SATA M.2 256 GB to SSD/NVMe/PCIe in my HP 14-cf1599sa with Intel Core-i5 82650U? I have now attempted a few times placing Corsair P510 480GB in the M.2 port. However, it does not come up in BIOS (Insyde F.53).  It shows no disks connected. (Otherwise the SSD P510 works fine on other systems). Would it be too modern and not compatible with this system? From the manual or HP 14-cf1xxx it is not very clear, if SSD NVMe can be working in this model although PCIe options are listed. Could it be the particular storage configuration I have, is not supporting NVMe/PCIe upgrades? On Crucial upgrades checks I do see NVMe/PCIe and SSD/SATA 2.5inch listed, however. So it is a mystery for me here.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes using the external adapter use Windows diskpart and do a clean all on it to completely wipe it then plug it in (either one) and see if the BIOS sees it. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It absolutely should accept a PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD. I have no personal experience with the Corsair MP510 but there is no specific reason it would not work. Do you have a 2.5 inch hard drive also in the laptop?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the comment. Originally it came without any 2.5 inch drive and I haven't got anything attached there. I see there are options with additional cable and bracket to connect such a drive. Earlier I was looking, where it could be connected to. But back to M.2 issue, I also have tried EVO 970 Plus and it also was not showing in BIOS. (EVO970 is going now nicely as C:\ on my 5 years old desktop ASUS motherboard, where I saw P510 working fine.) So yes, how come 8th gen Intel CPU system not seeing NVME/SSD... In Sandra software I see there are some devices engaging PCIe ports - LAN and on the other port another one. I see there are System Buses 0:PCI, 1:PCIe 2.0x4 (no device connected) 2: PCIe 3.0x1 with Gigabit LAN connected. Maybe something is to do about specific NVMe compatibility, if that M.2 accepts recognises both M-key and B-key devices? Hmm ...

HP Recommended

The key is a red herring. The slot accepts either B or B + M keyed devices. If a Samsung 970 Evo Plus also does not work then I am stumped. Try switching back and forth between secure boot and legacy boot. I assume you are putting these M.2 SSDs in there completely blank right out of the package and have not previously partitioned and formatted them, right?

HP Recommended

I have had them formatted later on the other computer. Also I have a casing which allows to read these from a USB port. Haven't placed one in as completely blank. Initially I thought, I will clone the SSD/SATA, then plug in and sorted. Bu, it didn't work.

HP Recommended

Yes using the external adapter use Windows diskpart and do a clean all on it to completely wipe it then plug it in (either one) and see if the BIOS sees it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. Will try this and the idea about Legacy and Secure in BIOS.

HP Recommended

No guaranty but worth a try. I can't really think of anything else it might be. 

HP Recommended

Cleaning the SSD P510 didn't make difference, but enabling Legacy Support and disabling secure boot did activate Legacy Boot options and under Notebook Hard Drive I did find P510. It is recognised. Bingo! I will now attempt Windows 10 install using the Recovery USB drive I created for this laptop recently. I expect cloning the previous SSD/SATA won't work here. Thank you very much. 

HP Recommended

Thanks are usually provided by marking the post that answered your question and provided the solution as the solution. You marked your own post. Pleased its now working for you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.