Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 250 G6 Notebook PC 4WU14ES
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am new to this, and just trying to clarify a few things that have been discussed in forum(conflicting). I have a HP 250 G6 Notebook PC(actually a laptop), with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U, 4GB memory, 500GB Toshiba SATA hard drive. I have looked at various questions and answers in the forums. I want to upgrade the memory and storage of my device. First conflict, is on my upgrade options, it says max 16gb, but on my laptop(HP Scan), it says I can go to 32gb! I probably would never need the 32GB, but would like to know for definite either way. Second conflict, hard drive! I have no DVD, so spare optical drive. Options are:-

Add another hard drive to spare optical port(with a hard drive caddy tray). Easiest option.

Add a SSD to spare optical port(with a hard drive caddy tray). I can't do this apparently unless both drives are SSD, and also fitting problems on HP laptops?

The next options become more complicated!

Replace existing hard drive (would have to clone before fitting)

Replace existing drive with SSD (would have to clone before fitting), (also 2 different connection methods)?

I think I have covered everything, any help or confirmation of this would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance. Regards Fozzie

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fozzie2 

This series has MANY models/products with MANY different options/configurations therefore very hard to explain them all. Please use the following manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05485525.pdf

For your machine, I'm trying to make things simpler:

1. For RAM: manual says 16GB max (page 1) but you can upgrade to 32GB because your machine has core CPU.

2. For HDD:  

(a) You can add 2.5" HDD to your machine using CD/DVD bay with a caddy,

(b) You can add M.2 SSD to M.2 slot and keep existing HDD (because your machine has Core processor)

(c) You can replace HDD with 2.5" SSD

Now, what is your option ? 

Regards. 

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Ahh, so I can add an SSD,  (in the spare slot), with a caddy? There has been a difference of opinion, some saying you can't add because it doesn't work apparently. I would probably need to check which connection the SSD takes(unless on the spare, it can take either). Many thanks for the heads up. I am probably gonna go option 16gb(2x8gb, until memory gets cheaper, and an SSD in spare slot. Regards Fozzie

HP Recommended

Sorry, can you clarify option b) again? Are you saying I can add an M.2 SSD and keep the existing hard drive in place? I.e. the m.2 would sit underneath existing hard drive? Or did you mean put it in spare M.2 slot?Thanks Iain

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.