Laeticia45
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Upgrading memory & hard drive for HP 15-dk1035nr

HP Recommended
HP 15-dk1035nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will be inheriting an HP 15-dk1035nr gaming laptop. It has 8gb RAM, but I'm looking to upgrade it to at least 16gb. I'd also like to swap out the 250GB solid-state drive with the 2TB, 7200 RPM hard drive that is in my current laptop. Is it even possible to do that? I found a Maintenance and Service Guide, which covers model numbers 15-dk0000 through 15-dk0999.  However, the 15-dk1035nr is not in that series. The guide also doesn't specify which of the models can be upgraded and by how much.

If anyone can help me figure this out I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,557 30,464 2,785 6,726
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Laeticia45 

In terms of the swap, while we certainly can not STOP you from doing that, I would personally advise against it for the following reasons:

1) Any SSD is going to be faster than an HDD, and your model is liable to have an M.2 SSD -- which is a LOT faster than an HDD.  If you make this change, your performance is going to suffer big time and then you will be back here asking how to improve it -- and we will be telling you that you can't!

2) The SSD most likes contains the OS, and if the HDD from the other PC also contains an OS, that is NOT going to work -- because the other PC has very different hardware and will have very different drivers.  Plus, the Windows license is tied to that PC, not to the owner.  So, moving a drive with an OS on it is a licensing violation.

3) If you remove the SSD, you will remove the OS from your PC and it will no longer boot.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,452 90,329 11,614 24,904
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Laeticia45 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06880086

1. RAM: It has 8 GB DDR4-2933 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB) now. You can add SAME existing RAM to slot 2 to be able to have 16GB. You can also upgrade to 32GB or even 64GB using (note: RAM will run at 2933MHz)

(a) 32GB:    https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k16g32c16s4b/ct19141373

(b) 64GB:    https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k32g32c16s4b/ct19141452

2. STORAGE: " I'd also like to swap out the 250GB solid-state drive with the 2TB, 7200 RPM hard drive that is in my current laptop". That is NOT a good idea, you can keep existing M.2 SSD drive for system and programs and add 2.5" 2TB HDD/SSD to your machine.

Of course you can throw away M.2 SSD drive but why ? You have to do a lot more work to achieve less.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation