Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-p243sa
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello HP community.

I'm having a hard time with my laptop. It freezes non-stop and I am considering upgrading the CPU. 

What motherboard specifications should I know before starting to look for a new CPU? Could you please tell me?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Intel Pentium N3540 with Intel HD Graphics (2.16 GHz, 2 MB cache, 4 cores)

That is what you have. The Pentium N is a very low end processor and I am sure the laptop was at a very low price point. The processor is soldered to the motherboard. No upgrade is possible for any amount of money that makes any sense. 

They do make an i7-5500 motherboard for that model but they are hard to find and crazy expensive. By the time you buy the motherboard and pay somebody to install it, you could just buy a new laptop and if you sell yours to Aunt Millie for doing her Instagram (all the laptop is good for) and buy one with a real processor you come out way ahead. 

I post here all the time and try to voice my opinion about why these low-end laptops with cell phone processors are even offered but the marketing people say that customers just are not willing to pay an honest price for a solid computer and the Geek Squad and other sellers do a very poor job of educating the public: yes it's a $250 laptop but what can it do? Will you get sick of it and just have to buy something else? Iron law: you get what you pay for. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Intel Pentium N3540 with Intel HD Graphics (2.16 GHz, 2 MB cache, 4 cores)

That is what you have. The Pentium N is a very low end processor and I am sure the laptop was at a very low price point. The processor is soldered to the motherboard. No upgrade is possible for any amount of money that makes any sense. 

They do make an i7-5500 motherboard for that model but they are hard to find and crazy expensive. By the time you buy the motherboard and pay somebody to install it, you could just buy a new laptop and if you sell yours to Aunt Millie for doing her Instagram (all the laptop is good for) and buy one with a real processor you come out way ahead. 

I post here all the time and try to voice my opinion about why these low-end laptops with cell phone processors are even offered but the marketing people say that customers just are not willing to pay an honest price for a solid computer and the Geek Squad and other sellers do a very poor job of educating the public: yes it's a $250 laptop but what can it do? Will you get sick of it and just have to buy something else? Iron law: you get what you pay for. 

HP Recommended
Thank you for the information.

Would you suggest moving to a lighter OS like Win 7 for optimal work. The computer freezes every time it starts processing something heavier...
HP Recommended

You might have trouble finding Windows 7 drivers. I would actually go in the other direction. Windows 10 is a little more forgiving of weak hardware than 8 or 8.1 believe it or not. You need to to turn off all visual effects and make sure nothing is starting automatically and running in the background. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.