Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15t-ae116tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello again! 

I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the WiFi card in my HP Envy 15t-ae116tx to the AC compatible version. I need your inputs regarding the possibility of upgrade and if yes, what brand (and spec) should I consider.

Thank you in advance, guys!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you absolutely can. See page 38 of the Manual:

Manual

See p. 38 for instructions on replacement

There is no whitelist. There are two possible 802.11ac comatible wifi cards listed in the Manual:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) 793840-005

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 806723-005

I seem to recall advising someone once before the get the 7265 card since it is dual channel (2 x 2) and it would not work in his laptop. The HP 7265 card will apparently only work in non-VPro computers. Since yours is high end I suspect it may be VPro. However, you do not have any whitelist blocking the wireless card so if you get a non-HP version of the 7265 you should be OK. This is the form factor you need:

The 3160 or 3165, even though 1 x 1 data channels, are also 802.11ac and will operate in the 2.4 or 5 ghz band. 

This would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-3160ngw-bluetooth-Elitebook/dp/B00SFIPM8E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Manual

There is no whitelist. There are two possible 802.11ac comatible wifi cards listed in the Manual:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO) 793840-005

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter 806723-005

I seem to recall advising someone once before the get the 7265 card since it is dual channel (2 x 2) and it would not work in his laptop. The HP 7265 card will apparently only work in non-VPro computers. Since yours is high end I suspect it may be VPro. However, you do not have any whitelist blocking the wireless card so if you get a non-HP version of the 7265 you should be OK. This is the form factor you need:

The 3160 or 3165, even though 1 x 1 data channels, are also 802.11ac and will operate in the 2.4 or 5 ghz band. 

This would work:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-3160ngw-bluetooth-Elitebook/dp/B00SFIPM8E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

One quick question though.

Is this the manual that covers my laptop model? I skimmed the pages first and I noticed that the illustrations show a dvd-drive, while mine does not. Just double checking because I plan on upgrading asap.

Thanks again!

@Huffer wrote:

Manual

This would work:

HP Recommended

It is the Manual HP has linked under your model number. It would not be the first time HP links to the wrong manual but it does say that the DVD drive is "select models only" so yours may just not be selected. I would make a quick inspection and see if the description and outside pictures in the manual are consistent with the layout of your laptop. 

HP Recommended

Based on the pictures of the page, the my laptop used the new type of hinge HP puts in the Envy line. Moreover, the product description indicates a i7 5th generation processor which is not like my 6th gen processor.

Any thoughts on how to verify this?

@Huffer wrote:

It is the Manual HP has linked under your model number. It would not be the first time HP links to the wrong manual but it does say that the DVD drive is "select models only" so yours may just not be selected. I would make a quick inspection and see if the description and outside pictures in the manual are consistent with the layout of your laptop. 

HP Recommended

Is it otherwise laid out the same? I have no access to any other manaul for your model that is what comes up. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.