Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP250 G3 J4T67EA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am looking to upgrade the HDD to an SSD on my brothers laptop. I have carried out this upgrade on my MacBook Pro using a crucial 500gb SSD, so was going to order the same SSD for my brothers laptop. I have found the guide to swap over the hard drive, but I am just looking for some guidance into the process of cloning the data or at least the OS into the SSD. The laptop runs windows 10. Thank you for any help. If any more details are needed then feel free to ask and I will try and provide the information from what I have. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can use the same drive in the G3, (Crucial MX500 2.5") and you can use the Media creation tool to make a bootable W10 installer to reinstall W10 on the new hard drive.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

If you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key option..

You can probably also use a free utility such as Macrium Reflect to clone the hard drive to the SSD.

Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

You would need to purchase a USB to SATA cable so you can attach the SSD to it and clone the drive.

Something like this...

USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable for 2.5" SSD HDD Drives: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

HP Recommended

@Sam-w 

Please use the following guide

https://au.pcmag.com/how-to/57940/how-to-copy-your-windows-installation-to-an-ssd

You don't need a dock, you can use USB-SATA adapter or USB enclosure for example

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/alogic-usb-30-usba-to-sata-adapter-cable-for-25-hard-drive-ab88783

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/simplecom-se101bk-toolfree-25-sata-to-usb-30-hddssd-enclosure-black...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you both for your help. I have the USB to SATA cable from when I changed the hard drive on my MacBook. 

So it’s just a case of using the cable and using AOMEI cloning programme to transfer the data to the SSD? 

How do I go about selecting the new hard drive to boot from? 

just want to make sure I have all the information available so the process goes as smooth as possible. I appreciate all of the help. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't understand what you mean by 'selecting the new hard drive to boot from.'

After you clone the currently installed hard drive via whatever cloning software you are using with the SATA to USB cable, you remove the mechanical hard drive from the notebook, install the SSD and it should just automatically boot from the SSD as it is doing now from the mechanical hard drive.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I meant that once I’ve cloned the drive I was going to test it to make sure it boots correctly and everything is on the SSD whilst having it connected through the USB cable. Instead of going through the whole process of swapping the drives to find out that it hasn’t worked and having to take it apart again to reinstall the HDD, so just wanted to know how I selected that drive to boot from while it’s connected externally? 

HP Recommended

Gotcha.

OK, so after you are finished cloning the drive, restart the PC.

Immediately tap/press the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that select the USB hard drive and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the cloned drive if the cloning process was successful.

HP Recommended

Perfect. Thank you very much for your help! Hopefully the swap goes to plan. 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please post back and let us know how your notebook's SSD upgrade project went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.