Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Sleekbook 15- b109so
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Is  Window  10  compatible with   Pavilion Sleekbok 15 -b 109so, bought in may 2013.?

I read somewhere that you could get  different problems upgrading to 10  with ex -blue screen, touchpad and other problems on laptops bought before august 2013.. I don't need any pc problems just now....

Serialnumber : (removed content)

Product nr       : D3D67EA#UUW

I hope somebody can answer..

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Another option, to prevent your PC from upgrading to Win10,  is to use this utility:  GRC | Never10  

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

missxx

I checked the HP Win10 compatibility page and your model PC has NOT been tested by HP for compatibility with Win10 -- that's one strike.

I also check the HP product page for your PC, and it doesn't list Win10 drivers, only Win8.1.

That's two strikes.

The GOOD news is that, in general, Win8.1 PCs have less problems with the Win10 Upgrade than older machines.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality in laptops is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in laptops -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your laptop.

However, for MS-supplied drivers that aren't working well, you could consider using HP Win8 drivers -- although there's no guarantee that those drivers will work.  Here's the link to the HP Product drivers and software page for Win8 for your PC:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-b100-Ultrabook/5338107/model/5381629

If that page does not show Win8x when you open it, then click CHANGE and select Windows 8x using the pulldown.

You might have to install the drivers using compatibility mode: http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

However, since the Win10 Rollback Utility is unreliable, if the Upgrade goes badly, you're most likely NOT going to be able to restore a working system.  So, to prevent that problem, I strongly suggest you consider using a third-party product known as Macrium Reflect to image your PC to an external drive or large USB stick BEFORE doing the Upgrade.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition.  This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.  

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry.  This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.

HP Recommended

Missxx

For your model laptop there are no official W10 drivers.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-Ultrabook/5338107/model/5381629

For computers sold after August 2013 with compatible hardware, HP has tested and approved specific software and drivers to support Windows 10.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-15-Ultrabook/5338107/model/5381629/document/c0476343...

You could try but you will run into problems.

REO

HP Recommended

Thank you very much... but that was toooooo complicated for me. I  am satisfied with  Windows 8,1  , so I don't hope Microsoft  suddenly upgrades me... they  suggest that  at least once a day.  What can I do to prevent that?-I mean  the sudden upgrade to 10....

Kind regards

missxx

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I don't want to try to upgrade to 10... I am very satisfied  with 8,1.

But Microsofr  "offers" me  at least once a day to upgrade, and I have heard of people thatsuddenly has been upgraded, without nobody asked the. How  can I prevent that happen to me?

Kind regards 

missxx

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Another option, to prevent your PC from upgrading to Win10,  is to use this utility:  GRC | Never10  

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I tried that-I hope it works...... Thank you

HP Recommended

I installed  GRC I Never 10, and  Microsoft stopped the  almost daily upgrading   offer to  Win10, at least until now...hope that will last. 🙂 Even the icon disappeared.

JUBIIIIIII!

Thank you!

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hopefully, after the end of July, when the one-year Free program ends, they'll stop nagging us all and trying to trick us into Upgrading!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.