Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq presario cq61
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. I'm currently trying to upgrade my Compaq Presario cq61 to an SSD and also to windows 10. I've done this on another pc and all I needed to do was just install the windows on the pen drive, install windows on the SSD, and all good to go.

on this pc however (it's older than the other one I upgraded) it doesn't show my SSD when I'm on the "choose the drive to install windows" or something like that.

I've tried to reinstall the setup on the USB and it didn't help. I've also checked if it was getting detected via "disk list" on cmd and used the "clean all" command on it but nothing helped

I saw someone say to install the SATA drivers but I don't know how to do this using only the USB also while installing windows.

if someone need's more details be free to ask. I need help quickly 😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@WAWood

I have successfully installed it now. it was simply because of the USB I was using. I changed to a new USB and done.

I did obviously upgrade from the factory 3Gb to 6 which is actually more than enough since it isn't going to run any difficult or heavy task. It is working fine and until now there are no bugs and it's quite fast compared to it's older HDD. But thanks for the input anyway

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Felkis 

Others may have direct experience with this model laptop, but my own view is you are wasting your time.

Not only will there be no HP Win10 drivers for a laptop this old, there are likely to be few if any MS drivers, as well -- and without those, it simply is not going to work.  Plus, it only has 2GB of memory and Win10 is not going to run with that little memory.

Sorry, but most 10-year old laptops simply will not run Windows 10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

I have successfully installed it now. it was simply because of the USB I was using. I changed to a new USB and done.

I did obviously upgrade from the factory 3Gb to 6 which is actually more than enough since it isn't going to run any difficult or heavy task. It is working fine and until now there are no bugs and it's quite fast compared to it's older HDD. But thanks for the input anyway

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.