Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 15-ay516tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does my laptop have a slot for M.2 ssd? If I want to add ssd to my laptop, Do I need to replace my HDD with new SSD or can I buy m.2 ssd and add in it's dedicated slot?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you can add a 8GB module in the empty slot and it will run fine. It will run in single channel like you have at the moment and will give a boost in performance. You could get dual channel with a 2x8GB RAM kit. But, it is not necessary and with an extra 8GB of RAM and an SSD the notebook is going to have a great boost in performance.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

It does not have an extra slot for M2 SSD. You will need to replace the 2.5" HDD with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the 2.5" Samsung 860 Evo. It will give a great boost to the everyday performance of the PC.

On page 60 you can see the steps to replace the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06189775

You should also upgrade the RAM to at least 8GB adding a 4GB module in the empty slot

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-15-ay516tx#MEMORYFilters

You will need to reinstall the OS on the SSD.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply! As you said I have also decided upgrade RAM. As I have 4 GB pre installed I would like to add another 8 GB to make it a total of 12 GB. Will that be okay? I mean does that work fine? cause I have read few articles saying "you should always use same size RAM sticks in both slots otherwise Dual channel is not supported" Is that true that 4GB + 8GB does not work fine? Please give me detailed answer.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you can add a 8GB module in the empty slot and it will run fine. It will run in single channel like you have at the moment and will give a boost in performance. You could get dual channel with a 2x8GB RAM kit. But, it is not necessary and with an extra 8GB of RAM and an SSD the notebook is going to have a great boost in performance.

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.