Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everybody,

Can I add the HDD WD Black Mobile 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s, 7200 rpm ( WD10JPLX) to elitebook 840 G3.

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No that one is 9.5 mm thick and the hard drive bay only accepts ultraslim 7 mm thick drives. 

Service Manual

There are 1 TB 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drives made in 7 mm form factor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TJ17QF/ref=psdc_1254762011_t1_B07D99KFPL

Do you have the mounting hardware for a 2.5 inch drive? What storage do you have now?

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No that one is 9.5 mm thick and the hard drive bay only accepts ultraslim 7 mm thick drives. 

Service Manual

There are 1 TB 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drives made in 7 mm form factor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TJ17QF/ref=psdc_1254762011_t1_B07D99KFPL

Do you have the mounting hardware for a 2.5 inch drive? What storage do you have now?

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your responsiveness,

I will buy the Hard drive hardware kit with the spare part number 821665-001. In the manual they emphasize that we can use 1 TB, 5400 rpm, 7 mm but not 1 TB, 7200 rpm (not specified)so, I don't know if the 7200 rpm is only possible with 500 GB capacity.

Now, I have only SSD 128 GB, this is why I want to add hdd with 1 TB capacity, and after, I will invest more for SSD 256 GB or 512 GB capacity.

HP Recommended

The parts listed in the Manual just catalog the configurations HP offered for sale and do not define what can be used in the laptop. 1 TB 7200 rpm is not a problem. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Now it's clear,

Thanks,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.