Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 15-ds1010wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install a new Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe drive on my HP Envy x360 15-ds1010wm, but when I launch the USB Windows Installation tool, it doesn't show up. (It shows up briefly saying it contains 0 MB, but it disappears when I click Refresh). It also doesn't show up using Hiren's Boot CD. I have updated the BIOS to the latest version (F.06). I ran the Quick Hard Drive Test in the BIOS, and it passed.

(I have two SN550 drives and two identical Envy laptops in case I should do additional testing)

(Before this I was trying to install a Crucial P2 drive into each laptop, but both drives/laptops gave SMART errors)

What exactly I did:

• Download Windows Media Creation Tool.
  • Save Windows to ISO onto a Micro SD Card (most convenient removable storage I had).
  • Use Rufus to flash ISO onto 64GB Sandisk USB (GPT, UEFI).
  • Replace SSD. (I did not remove the battery if that matters)
  • Boot USB flash drive. Windows Installer boots, but SSD doesn't show up in the install wizard.
  • Run the Quick Hard Drive Test in the BIOS. It passed, so the drive should be working.
  • Download/flash Hiren's Boot CD onto that flash drive. SSD doesn't show up on that either.
  • Format USB as FAT32, install BIOS onto flash drive using the official tool, and run the .efi file to update the BIOS. (BIOS updated from F.05 to F.06)
  • Flash Windows ISO onto USB flash drive/boot. Still doesn't show.
  • Disable "Secure Boot" in BIOS. Still doesn't work.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update: I tested the drives on a new gaming PC, and they show up, so there's obviously an issue with the HP laptops. I guess I'll be returning the drive and getting a Kingston A2000 instead.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.