Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

WIFI CARD

HP 15 ay005tx Notebook

I want to replace the wireless card to make the wifi work with linux. Please suggest a wifi card that is compatible other than RTL8723BE because it simply doesn't work. This old laptop is giving me nightmares with the factory version realtek wifi chip; none of the solutions work on linux. I would like to get the chip from Amazon US or Ebay US.

SNAZGOSFJMNGHNKRSQ
2 REPLIES
Grad Student
Grad Student
147 30 45
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

WIFI CARD

See page 3 of HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000 - 15-ay099 HP 250 G5 Notebook PC HP 256 G5 Notebook PC - M...

You can install Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo if you have dual antenna.

Also see page 55. You could install other Intel wifi card as long as it is the same form factor. Intel cards are well supported by Intel/Linux.

** I don't work for HP ** Click Blue Thumbs Up icon below if you like my answer
SAMMY0909 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

WIFI CARD

Hi Brian, 

Thanks for the quick answer. I was waiting to test Ubuntu before accepting this as the solution. I got an  Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265NGW 802.11ac,2X2 WiFi +Bluetooth 4.0. Works great! 

SNAZGOSFJMNGHNKRSQ
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation