Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to increase the RAM on my laptop, where Already are 4gb RAM installed in slot 1.
DIMM
Memory type DDR3L
Module format SO-DIMM
Module Manufacturer(ID) Samsung
Size 4096 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
Manufacturing date Week 04/Year 13
Number of banks 8
Nominal Voltage 1.35 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
AMP no

Now i want to add another 8gb ram in slot 2. 
Question 1. Is it possible to use this 4 gb  previous ram & a new 8gb ram at once? (is it possible to use this kind of combination of 4+8= 12 gb ram?)

Question 2. If I don't use the previous ram then what is the maximum capacity of ram i can use per slot in this mother board ?? ( ram  size & bus speed)

My laptop:
HP ProBook 4540s
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17F6, KBC Version 58.1F

Display adapter 0
Name AMD Radeon HD 7650M
Board Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Memory size 2 GB
PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
Core clock 300.0 MHz
Memory clock 150.0 MHz
Performance Level 1
Core clock 400.0 MHz
Memory clock 900.0 MHz
Performance Level 2
Core clock 500.0 MHz
Memory clock 900.0 MHz

Display adapter 1

Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Board Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
PCI device bus 0 (0x0), device 2 (0x2), function 0 (0x0)
Core clock 350.0 MHz

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Officially, according to chapter 1 of the service manual, you can only install 2 x 4 GB of memory.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03758231

However, you can actually go as high as 2 x 8 GB of memory, but when you do, there is a problem, that can be easily resolved.

See this discussion...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Performance-degrades-in-Proboo...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.