Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-bs289wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading to SSD and current Windows 10 version, webcam cannot be properly installed. It is not identified in device manager as a webcam or imaging device, but it IS identified as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". I know this is the webcam because when I unplugged the webcam cable, the line item disappears from Device manager. Hp must use some kind of generic driver as there are no webcam drivers available for this model from hp support. I can't find any driver for this cam searching numbers on the cam itself. The two numbers on the cam that google searches provide matches for are  914519-1X0 and FW:1809HW:A1. The following information appears under under the Unknown USB Device information for this:

Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&18e4146f&0&5 was configured.

Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.488
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE
Outranked Drivers: usb.inf:USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&14191493&0&0

It doesn't seem like authentic Windows updates should render a device unusable, but this is what has happened, and I can see by my searches that others are having this same problem on multiple hp models. HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if watching this video is of help to you...

Fix: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) - YouTube

HP Recommended

Thanks for the video, but it did not help. Anything more in depth that could get me me to a solution would make me eternally grateful. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.