Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I have a brand new HP Spectre X360 15, and have had it for about 10 days. I recently went to use a couple of apps that made use of the webcam and the internal webcam isn't detected.

I've tried the native camera app, and it reports back the following screen/message/ error code:Camera_Error.png

I then check Device Manager, and 'Imaging Devices' (wherein the webcam should be residing) isn't visible. I go to 'view' > 'show hidden devices', and then Imaging Devices appears, within which shows an HP TrueVision FHD RGB-IR webcam, which is greyed out. Right clicking and inspecting properties reveals the message under the general tab:

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

I have tried updating the drivers to the most current (3.6.8.0 Rev.C from the currently installed 3.5.8.12) from the following link https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo... - and basically, they won't install, Installshield Wizard reporting:

"Can not find the device, abort install" 

So, all I really need to know is whether this situation is a driver/software one that can be remedied, or is it a physical fault and I should just send the bloody thing back to Amazon and get my money back? After less than a fortnight of having the thing, I am NOT sending it off for repair, so please don't bother even suggesting this.

Oh, and no - it's not Norton anti-virus that's blocking the cam. Norton doesn't do this.

Aaaaanyhoo, all help and advice gratefully received. Many thanks.

--Mark

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi @ErrorFourOThree,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

As I understand you are having issues with the Webcam not working on your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

If you are sure the cable has snapped as you've mentioned, did you check the device manager if it's detected? 
(Click here, if you haven't - Look under Webcam is not listed in Device Manager)

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

The drivers for the Imaging devices, which include the webcam, are not displayed in the Device Manager. To resolve this problem, use the following steps:

1. Shut down your computer, and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery from the battery compartment. If your computer has a sealed battery that cannot be removed, then perform a reset as shown in the HP support document: Performing a Hard Reset or Forced Reset.

3. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, and then reinsert the battery and reconnect the power cord.

4. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to open.

5. Click Start, type Device Manager in the search field, and select Device Manager from the list provided.

6. If there is no Imaging devices category listed, select Action, then Scan for hardware changes.

Figure : Scan for hardware changes

Action drop-down with Scan for hardware changes selected
  7. If Device Manager does not recognize the webcam after the scan, Use Microsoft System Restore to go back to a time when the Webcam was working properly. If problems persist, the webcam may have become unplugged internally and requires service.

For further assistance, please  HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

If the issue persists, Please follow these steps here:

Option 1: Check Device Manager to make sure it is working properly.

1. Click your Start button, type “Device Manager,” and press Enter.
  2. Once Device Manager loads click “View” and then “Show Hidden Devices.”
  3. Locate the “Imaging Devices” section.
  4. Note whether you see the webcam here.
  5. If the webcam is listed, right click it and verify that it is not “Disabled.”
  6. If the webcam is listed and not disabled, move onto Option 2.  If the webcam is not listed you will move onto Option 4

Option 2:   Allow Windows to Re-install the device.

1. While still in Device Manager right click on your webcam and select “Uninstall”
  2. If prompted select “remove driver and driver package.”
  3. Reboot your notebook and allow Windows to attempt to reinstall the webcam.
  4. If Windows detects the webcam verify the functionality of the webcam.
  5. If Windows does not detect the webcam and install it move onto Option 3.

Option 3:  Manually install the drivers for your webcam. 

1. Use this website to determine your product/model number. 
  2. Visit the HP Support Page and use this product number to visit your product’s specific page.
  3. Go to “Drivers and Software” and locate the driver for your webcam.  NOTE: the drivers for the webcam are sometimes bundled with the YouCam software.
  4. Download and install this driver.
  5. Reboot the PC.
  6. Verify functionality. 

Option 4:  Manually re-detecting the hardware.

1. Disconnect all external devices.
  2. Shut down the notebook.
  3. Remove the battery and AC power.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  5. Reinstall the battery and AC power.  Then turn the notebook on.
  6. Once Windows is loaded go back to Device Manager.
  7. Selection “Action” and then “Scan for hardware changes.”
  8. If Device Manager detects the hardware allow it to install.
  9. If Device Manager does not detect the hardware see Option 5.

Option 5: System Restore and System Recovery. 

Link: Perform System Restore & Performing System Recovery. Note that any data that is not backed up prior to a recovery will be lost.

Options 6: Repair

If nothing works, I would suggest this could be a hardware failure. I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Webcam Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 8)​​​​​​​

Testing a Webcam Using YouCam (Windows 10, 8, 7)

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same issue, until I went to hp support to install a driver and I found a notation to check the right side of the laptop and there is a switch to turn on and off the camera.  Huh!  Don't know if you came across it.  Just an FYI

HP Recommended

Re: person who commented about the on/off switch

Just wanted to say thank you! I've been through hell this week trying to fix this perplexing issue (I use facial ID for login so it actually bothered me). Reinstalling drivers, troubleshooting all sorts of ways, searching posts online all week, even downgraded BIOS, no luck... then i find your post!

Didn't even know this stupid little switch existed on my Spectre. Easiest fix ever and now I feel so dumb haha

HP Recommended

I worked and worked on this following step by step instructions....months of frustration...getting ready to take it into the shop....THERE IS A TINY BUTTON ON THE LEFT SIDE OF LAPTOP BY PORTS TO TURN THE CAMERA ON AND OFF!!! Talk about feeling like a dummy lol...hope this is all that is wrong with yours!

HP Recommended

Perhaps your fist step should be "check the on/off camera button on the side of the laptop"?

HP Recommended

Man.  Thanks heaps you are a lifesaver!  Like I guess many others I was mucking around with driver and software updates for hours then came across your post.  The **bleep** switch on the side had switched to disable cam...  Grrrrr

HP Recommended

Hi Mark,  I am exactly the same situation as you!  Same laptop, same actions, same findings.  What an absolute disgrace from HP - sending laptops out without testing them properly!  I have contacted Amazon today and will give a go to their Support (I know where this is going), but like you I am not send it out for fix.  I have spend near 2k on a laptop, I would expect everything working properly.  If Amazon, can't fix -> money back, and probably off to another manufacturer, if I don't get any sort of compensation for the hours that I already spend investigating and trying to fix their problem.

HP Recommended

OMG thank you so much! I have been so upset having bought a new laptop and the webcam would not work! I was trying everything and here it is - this tiny little switch!

HP Recommended

Ive been struggling to figure out what the issue was....and I looked on the side of my comp and flipped the switched now my cam works! Thank you! It helped dramatically...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.