Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Ub6424 

Hi

I`ve traced the issue back to the BIOS update. However now I dont know what to do. I am unable to roll back the BIOS update as the computer doesn`t detect my BIOS recovery USB or Partition. Any ideas?  

HP Recommended

Hello @hazam1992 

Try this ...

(1) Download Microsoft CAB file

--->>> Realtek - Camera - 10.0.22000.20223

(2) Extract the file "3f23bcb3-d3f4-439c-81c1-c088dd054f4d_cd4fa06a3a0b5675691a28de431cb7350cefe8f9.cab" using 7-zip

- start windows <device manager>

- Locate 'webcam' device

- Update driver locally using INF file

--->>> How to manually install a Driver using a .INF File in Windows 11/10

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

@Ub6424

• Thankyou for responding. I have tried this before and always receive the attached error.Device Manager Error.jpg
HP Recommended

Hello @hazam1992 

This is an interesting message from Windows <device manager>. HP uses a Realtek camera, but it has different hardware ID so that only HP's own drivers can be used. However, these cannot be downloaded from HP. They are plug-and-play ...

What happens if you start Windows Camera ? Screenshot please.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Ub6424

Yes it is an interesting message. Whats more interesting is that before the BIOS update, the camera`s hardware ID was:

USB\VID_0408&PID_542B&REV_0004&MI_00
USB\VID_0408&PID_542B&MI_00

And after the BIOS update the hardware ID was changed to:

USB\VID_0408&PID_5429&REV_0004&MI_00

USB\VID_0408&PID_5429&MI_00

This is most probably why the webcam is malfunctioning.

When I open the camera app, the camera light turns on and the app shows a blank screen shown below:Camera App.png

When I take press the shutter button, the following error shows up after a few seconds:

Camera App Error.png

The most obvious solution to me is to flash the camera`s firmware again, however I cant find any resources to do that.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello @hazam1992 

(1) Please switch camera driver

Microsoft Documentation --->>> Camera doesn't work in Windows

See section <Switch to UVC driver

Quote: " Switch to UVC driver

Most available USB webcams are UVC (standard USB Video Class) compatible cameras. They will work with the UVC driver that is included in Windows (the in-box UVC driver). If your webcam is not working correctly, swapping to the in-box UVC driver may resolve the issue. Please follow the steps below to change drivers (admin rights are required).

Note: The in-box UVC driver may not support all the features of your camera. For example, Windows Hello face recognition may no longer work if it was supported by the camera manufacturer's driver using custom USB extensions not supported by the in-box driver.

1. Select Start , type device manager, then select it from the search results.

2. Find the problem webcam from the list of devices shown in the Device Manager. It should appear either under Cameras or Imaging devices.

3. Right-click the webcam device and select Update driver.

4. Select Browse my computer for drivers.

5. Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.

6. Select USB Video Device and then select Next to complete the driver update.

7. Select Close to acknowledge settings choices and go back to Device Manager. The webcam will now appear under the Cameras category in the Device Manager list.

"

(2) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Ub6424

I have tried this before and have tried again. The drivers successfully installs, however, the device is still not functioning.

Any other ideas?

Your efforts are much appreciated. 

HP Recommended

Hello @hazam1992 

Repeat ...

Take your time and read the following detailed instruction and follow it to solve the problem.

(1) HP PCs - Troubleshoot the webcam (Windows 10)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3960099-3335046-16

See section <Webcam stops working after an update>

(2) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Ub6424

Repeated many times my friend. Does not work. HP Webcam 101 driver gives same error as earlier that a duplicate device found and Microsoft Driver i already installed and reinstalled but no change.

Camera firmware will have to be flashed or BIOS will have to be downgraded. Do you have any resources for this? I dont see any other solution working. I have tried most guides available online and on HP community and also changed my OS to no avail.

HP Recommended

Hello @hazam1992 

You wrote: "

As the title says, my webcam stopped working out of the blue. I have reqached the conclusion that something happened during a windows update that has led the webcam to malfunction.

"

The (notebook) BIOS has nothing to do with the problem. I think that Windows has updated the firmware of the camera.

My possibilities to help you are exhausted. We have really tried many things.

Please contact HP support if notebook is still under warranty. As an alternative, I would use an external camera that can be clamped to the notebook.

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.