Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
T8T07EA#ABF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, for two months i have an issue with my keyboard on a HP Spectre T8T07EA#ABF

The issue is that some keys do weird things (open a window, the windows 10 help window,...). Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. 

It's the same issue with the physical keyboard, or the virtual one in tablet mode or when i use a bluetooth keyboard.

I tried to re-install a clean version of windows 10, even changed the hard drive to make sure to get rid of anything that could cause an issue but the problem remain.
i don't know what to do anymore. Any help would be more than welcome

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@nbotti Did you check if the issue occurs on an external keyboard?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

I recommend you attempt the below steps to identify the cause of the failure and resolve it accordingly:

• Try changing the keyboard layout/language and check if it works: Click here for steps.
  • Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 
  • Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds
  • Replace the battery, restart the notebook,
  • if the issue persists, perform an interactive hardware test on the keyboard using the steps mentioned on this link: Click here (look under "Running Component Tests > Keyboard test").

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I spent hours and hours on the subject and had someone also from HP support services on the phone. Thanks to HP for trying to bring a good support.

I finally solved the issue apparently but this is quite weird. so i re-installed windows, even changed the hard drive to have a clean install but the problem was still here, with the notebook keyboard, the touch keyboard and even a bluetooth external keyboard.
Even with the keyboard hardware test.

Then i decided to buy an external USB keyboard at 5 euros, just to test. I plugged it on the notebook and then... the problem totally disappeared as by magic!! This is totally absurd.

If someone has a logical explanation, he's welcome....

Anyway thanks HP for the support

HP Recommended

@nbotti If the external USB keyboard works while the internal doesn't, it seems to be a hardware malfunction within the internal keypad and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry if my explanation is not very clear. In fact the simple fact of plugging an external keyboard in USB solved the issue with all the keyboards (internal, external, virtual). This may sound absurd but this is the case. 

HP Recommended

@nbotti I didn't see that coming, I appreciate the clarification though and I can only assume the USB keyboard released static from the device that may have resolved the other issues, I mean that seems to be the only explanation to this circumstance! 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After two weeks, sadly the problem appeared again. And i finally found what the problem was.

It seems that the Windows and F1 keys are not working properly. They keep being activated randomly. so this in fact a hardware problem with the keyboard.

I used a freeware SharpKeys to deactivate the Windows and F1 keys.

And now it works.

I think the good idea would be to replace the keyboard but my laptop is five years old and i didn't find the right part (Azerty keyboard) anywhere 

HP Recommended

@nbotti

Thank you for the update and I am glad that you were able to figure out the root cause of the issue.

You can purchase all the replacement parts available for your computer from HP part surfer.

Follow the steps in the below article for detailed instructions.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372736

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.