Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-R024TX
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am planning to upgrade the memory of my 14-R024TX laptop. It currently has the stock 2GB that it came with.

I have a couple of questions:

Does the motherboard support flex mode? In other words, will it have dual channel memory if I go with 8GB+2GB memory sticks? I cannot find information on this in the manual.

Is it better to have 2x4GB instead of 8GB+2GB even though the latter has 2GB more capacity? I am not even sure if the motherboard supports the 8GB+2GB configuration, I checked the manual and it does not seem to be listed as one of the supported configurations. 

I am aware that the laptop supports up to 16GB (2x8GB).

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook will support a max of 2 x 8 GB of DDR3L-1600 memory.

Your notebook will support mismatched capacities of memory, and it will run in single channel (flex) mode.

In order for the memory to run in the higher performing dual channel mode, you must install memory in matching capacities (2 x 4 GB, 2 x 8 GB).

It would be probably be a little better to have 10 GB running in single channel mode than 2 x 4 GB running in dual channel mode--especially if you get the hankering to max it out down the road.

If you install 2 x 4 GB, then you wasted your money, since you would have to remove both chips to install 2 x 8 GB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.