cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Gousie
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

What SSD drive to use

HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to change my current hard drive with a SSD drive but do not know what SSD drive to replace it with. Will appreciate any help and feedback.

Current Write speed is 59.2 MBytes/sec. and Read speed 61.7Mbytes/sec.

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz

Installed RAM: 16GB

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,827 92,489 21,261 28,560
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

It has to be a SATA 2.5" drive.  Your notebook has no M.2 slot for a SSD.

I don't know what storage capacity you need, but if you can live with 500 GB, this drive provides the best performance for the price.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to...

The 1 and 2 TB drives are pretty expensive and I don't know if it is a good idea to put a lot of money into such an old notebook.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with any brand/model 2.5" SSD.

Gousie
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

What would you recommend, a SATA drive, M.2,  1 or 2TB and what product would you recommend?

Regards

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

It has to be a SATA 2.5" drive.  Your notebook has no M.2 slot for a SSD.

I don't know what storage capacity you need, but if you can live with 500 GB, this drive provides the best performance for the price.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to...

The 1 and 2 TB drives are pretty expensive and I don't know if it is a good idea to put a lot of money into such an old notebook.

View solution in original post

Gousie
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much, will go with your advise.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation