Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

LOOKING TO BUY AN SSD!!

hello this is my laptop https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-15-6-touchscreen-laptop-natural-silver-intel-core-i5-8250u-1....

It's an hp laptop, 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U, 8 GB Ram, quadcore processors 1.6 ghz.

I want to upgrade to an SSD alongside my HDD. first of all is that even possible with this laptop.

secondly what ssd should i buy that would be good for the laptop. 250 - 500 gb is okay.

Moderate gaming, using software programs but nothing too intense like high quality editing or anything.

My budget is around ~$100. I really appreciate any help !!

thank you

edit:

will https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16820147674&ignorebbr=1 one work

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is the Manual:

Manual

Start on p. 38 to remove rear cover and here is what you see inside:

M.2 SSD slot circled in redM.2 SSD slot circled in red

The one you linked would only work in lieu of (instead of) the existing hard drive. If you want to add an SSD on top of having the hard drive you must use the slot circled in red above. That takes an M.2 "gumstick" type M.2 disk. It can take the best and fastest on the market; a PCIe/NVME M.2 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-250GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07CGGNX7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=15418998...

You would put this in the laptop and then put Windows on it. I am not sure how much you know about how to do that and we can get as detailed as you need. You do want to open the laptop BEFORE you buy upgrade parts just to be sure the slot circled above is actually present on yours. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

This is the Manual:

Manual

Start on p. 38 to remove rear cover and here is what you see inside:

M.2 SSD slot circled in redM.2 SSD slot circled in red

The one you linked would only work in lieu of (instead of) the existing hard drive. If you want to add an SSD on top of having the hard drive you must use the slot circled in red above. That takes an M.2 "gumstick" type M.2 disk. It can take the best and fastest on the market; a PCIe/NVME M.2 like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-250GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B07CGGNX7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=15418998...

You would put this in the laptop and then put Windows on it. I am not sure how much you know about how to do that and we can get as detailed as you need. You do want to open the laptop BEFORE you buy upgrade parts just to be sure the slot circled above is actually present on yours. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi thank you so much for the response!!

Do you happen to know any more detailed sites to take off the underside? The manual doesn't have pictures and I just want to make sure that I don't mishandle or damage anything.

I'll purchase the needed screwdriver and open up the underside, from there if the red circle slot is present like you said should I buy the SSD that you linked? Its within my GB and price range .

I just have one thing I don't understand:

You would put this in the laptop and then put Windows on it.

I already have windows  OS since I've been using this laptop for a while. Will I have to reinstall? I'd just appreciate some advice on that and  setting the OS with SSD and the storage on the HDD. 

Thank you so much for the help!!!

HP Recommended

Yeah you will have to reinstall Windows and we can deal with that when you get there. 

The Manual does have pictures not sure what you mean there. 

HP Recommended

Will I lose any info?

Oh sorry I'll search the manual again.

Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

Your info will all stay on the original drive we just have to get Windows over onto the new drive. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.