Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-bs115dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What kind of SSD is compitible for my "hp 15-bs115dx"?

Need to buy a right kind of SSD to replace dead HDD ( with code 303). Some said 860 EVO, some said M.2 SSD.

If it is SATA, what version?

Finally,

How good is hp 15-bs115dx?

Would it be wealthy to fix this dead hard drive problem (and with more other problems to come) or to buy a new laptop?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@DeeJin 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05915970

It has  1 TB 5400 rpm SATA now. You have few options

1. Replace the faulty HDD with a 2.5" SSD  or 2.5" HDD,

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-mx500-ssd

2. Ignore faulty HDD and install M.2 NVMe SSD  using

https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/970-evo-nvme-m-2-ssd-500gb-mz-v7e500bw/

3. Do both 1 & 2.

It is a good machine for normal day in day out work and study. Not for modern games.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer and ref. links.

I read the manual suggested. Based on Chapter 10, I just realize that 15-bs115dx has both HDD & SDD options.

About the adapter bracket & connector board.

Since my laptop came only with HDD.Based on youtube disassembly video, it already included its adapter bracket.

If I choose to install M.2 SSD, should I also need to purchase the required "the solid-state drive adapter bracket and connector board" which add more $$ in this fix-up?

About the Interface;

The interface of M.2 is ATA-7. I am lost, what kind of SSD comes with ATA-7? Most of SSD is now SATA III.

The interface of HDD is SATA, however, some argue that is SATA I ( is it?),  once replace the dead HDD with a SATA III SSD, even it is backward compatible with SATA 1, but the new SSD will NOT last long, is it true?

Any clarification and suggestions are deeply appreciated.

HP Recommended

Please help more;

NVMe is over kill for my normal needs (emailing, internet search / read, youtubing, Doc. & spreadsheet read / write) and costs half of the HP 15 bs-115dx.

Hp 15 bsXXX is not on the upgradeable list of Window 11, pretty soon, I have to buy a new laptop with Window 11, therefore, could you suggest some SSD cheaper than NVMe SSD for M.2?   Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi, @DeeJin 

The M.2 slot in any 15-bsXXX notebook only supports SATA SSD's only, not NVMe.

See chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported drive types.

HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel)HP 15g Laptop PCHP 15q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Here is proof that a NVMe SSD does not work in the 15-bsXXX model series...

Solved: Samsung 970 PRO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD not working in HP Laptop - HP Support Community - 7248414

I recommend you replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

Or you can install a SATA M.2 SSD.  They are the same price as a SATA SSD.

Also I see very little price difference between a SATA M.2 SSD and a NVMe M.2 SSD, but that is a moot point regarding your model notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.