Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I need to buy a new laptop and I very much want to stick with HP. I narrowed it down to three options and I cannot tell how the differences between them affect performance. I've tried to look online and understand MHz and GHz, comparing i5 and i7 too, but I just cannot figure it out. I know RAM is important but, again, I don't know how important compared to all the other factors and what they all influence. I saw someone mention IPC is important but I have no idea what that is.

What's most important to me is performance. I don't care about weight, whether it can be used as a tablet, size etc. I would like to train to become a software developer and I just want a decent laptop with my smallish budget (under £700) to start off with. Maybe an occasional game but not very often.

All these laptops are quad core, similar battery life, Intel Iris Xe and are all within £50 of each other.

Laptop 1, a HP 14s: 8 GB DDR4-2666 MHz RAM (2 x 4 GB); i7-1165G7 (up to 4.7 GHz), 12 MB cache (comes with Windows 10 but can get a free upgrade)

Laptop 2, a HP 14s: 16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB); i7-1165G7 (up to 4.7 GHz) 12 MB cache (comes with Windows 10 but can get a free upgrade)

Laptop 3, a HP Pavilion 14: 8 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 4 GB); i5-1155G7 (up to 4.5 GHz) 8 MB cache (comes with Windows 11)

What most confuses me is #2 and #3 are the same price, though #2 has double the ram, a better Intel processor with GHz and better cache. Would one be paying more as it's Pavilion? Initially, I was comparing #1 and #3, which have a difference of £50 with #1 being cheaper, and I didn't know whether to prioritise the 12MB cache and i7 of #1 or the 3200 MHz of #3.

I just don't know what it all actually amounts to and I would really appreciate some help on what affects what in performance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.