Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-en1003nb
Microsoft Windows 11

Can someone tell me what SSD slots I have in my HP Omen 15-en1003nb?

I want to add a 2nd SSD and maybe upgrade my boot SSD.

Id like to know if the slots are PCI-e 3 or 4

And does the SSD need a heatsink and will a heatsink fit in the first place?

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Good_Omen 

Your notebook has two M.2 slots for NVMe SSD's.

See chapter 1 of the maintenance and service guide on your model series' support page.

OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 Manuals | HP® Customer Support

It's for the older models with the Ryzen 4xxx series processors but HP would not give your notebook less features.

If you look at the Connectivity specs for your notebook's processor from AMD, they indicate the PCI Express version is Generation 3, not 4.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Mobile Processor| AMD

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The slot is Gen 4.

SSDs generally are delivered with their own heatsink.

There may or may not be a second SSD slot. The only way to know that is to open it up and take a look.

You may find that it is set up like the HP laptop Omen 15-ek0000ng, which does have a second slot available.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

So a brandnew 1500 euro laptop could possibly have 1 SSD slot? I have seen several posts here with the same question and people seem to know exactly what type and how many fit in there.

And If I were to open up my laptop, how can I tell if the second slot is pci-3 or 4?

Thanks

HP Recommended

"So a brandnew 1500 euro laptop could possibly have 1 SSD slot?"  Yes.

I did a search on your notebook model here and I saw no such results, specifically about a second slot.

That just isn't information that HP provides as these are notebook and not really designed for customer convenience in upgrading. In the marketing you did not see anything about easy upgrades.

The slot is most likely to to be the same as the other one. Take a look at the chipset for the processor to see what type to expect.

Your notebook does, according to the Maintenance & Service guide have an extra slot. It is worth opening the bottom up to check.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

To be fair this model was advertised with quick and easy upgrades and maintenance access for storage and RAM with  removing 1 single panel, so I interpreted that as there being a second slot. 

We already established that my original SSD is PCI-e 4 and you mentioned mostlikely both have the same interface. Is it still possible for the second slot to be PCI-e 3? And to check you say look at the chipset for the processor. Where exactly am I looking? Hardware or software?

I have an AMD Ryzen 7 5800h processor if that info helps

Thank you very much btw! You have been most helpful so far!

HP Recommended

Hi, @Good_Omen 

Your notebook has two M.2 slots for NVMe SSD's.

See chapter 1 of the maintenance and service guide on your model series' support page.

OMEN 15.6 inch Gaming Laptop PC 15-en1000 Manuals | HP® Customer Support

It's for the older models with the Ryzen 4xxx series processors but HP would not give your notebook less features.

If you look at the Connectivity specs for your notebook's processor from AMD, they indicate the PCI Express version is Generation 3, not 4.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800H Mobile Processor| AMD

HP Recommended

The simplest way to check for the slot generation is to use something on the order of the AIDA64 extreme utility.

The trial version will show  you which generation the slot(s) are.

If there is easy upgrades with a single panel then opening it should provide an easy way to see what is available there.

HP Recommended

My question has been answered! My thanks to the both of you for your time and help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.