Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 360x m6 convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy 360x m6 convertible PC. Over the last year when my computer performs the Windows 10 update my keyboard stops working. The fist time this happened it was in the shop getting a new screen added. My computer stayed in the shop another 2 weeks looking for the issue, they advised me it was the Windows 10 update. Since then the update has occurred 3 more times, and still no keyboard use. I tried different troubleshooting and tools on HP sight and getting no relief from this issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

My laptop keyboard does not seem to work with the Windows 10 1903 update. I have tried everything suggested that I can find on the internet and with the help of a Windows Agent. With help from the windows agent we repeated all the steps listed to fix this issue and still no resolution. I finally reached a human at HP and was disappointed by their customer service. I spoke to a sales man that refused to give me access to the the new keyboard driver that works with Windows 10 1903 unless I provided payment to HP. I shouldn't have to pay to get the driver but I was willing to do so in order to end this year long battle I have been having with this computer. However the sales man was so rude and condescending to me that I refused to give them money. He told me that I can't find the driver so I have to pay. However HP has not made this driver available on their website, the only drivers available for my laptop are for Windows 10 1803.  I also read on the website that HP was working closely with Windows to deal with these issues, but that is not the experience I am having.

- Keyboard works on start up, once I go into Windows keyboard no longer works.

- I have removed and updated drivers, it says I have the latest possible drivers for my computer

- I have gone through HP website for Windows 10 issues and there is nothing about keyboard drivers there

Bottom line is don't buy an HP computer as you will no longer have the support you are used to having with this company. 

HP Recommended

@CarolLouise Greetings from the HP Community!

Since the keyboard doesn't work in windows, however seems to be working before startup, I suggest we run a quick hardware test using the below steps:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click Component Tests.

Click Keyboard Test - This interactive test checks the keyboard. This test requires a keyboard.

To run the test, click Keyboard, and then click Run once.

The Keyboard Test time is 3 minutes.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If it passes, reinstall the keyboard drivers using the below steps:

1) Right-click the Start button, then click Device Manager.

2) Expand Keyboards then right-click Standard PS/2 Keyboard and click Uninstall.

3) When prompted to confirm, click OK.

4) Restart your computer after the uninstall

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

I have already done all these steps. With the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) all checked out fine, no failures because the keyboard works in start up mode. 

I have tried numerous times to put the correct driver on the computer, however the drivers available to me are for 1803, not 1903. All tools from HP state that I have the most current Drivers for my computer (Diagnostic Tools, HP support Assistant, and Device Manager). This process DOES not work. The Sales persons, Marlon, said that the techs have the driver that I need and I need to pay to get it.

On the HP website for the WIndows 10 issues it shows all computers tested for WIndows 10 and my computer is not listed.  If HP would allow access to the correct driver I can fix this issue myself. 

HP Recommended

@CarolLouise You don't have to pay for any driver as such, however, considering the device is not listed in the computers tested for Windows 10, the drivers for the same may not be available on the HP website, I'm afraid the only way around this, is to reinstall the OS and revert to the factory shipped version of the OS and disable auto-updates for the time being to resolve this issue.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Absolutely do not go to 3rd party driver sites. What you do need to do is give us the full and complete model number for the laptop and we can hunt you down an HP driver or provide a workaround which may involve editing an .inf file. This is happening with keyboards and touchpads on several HP models updated to the newest Windows 10 Build and so far there is a way around all the issues. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer,

I agree. No mention of the model number. At least here is an HP site that will lookup the drivers.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The serial number is [edit]

product number is W2K45UA#ABA

I have looked at the available drivers on the HP website for this computer and the only drivers available are for Windows 10 1803 and earlier. They do not have the driver available for Windows 10 1903. 

I do not have a resolution to this issue yet.

HP Recommended

I don't think you are seeing a keyboard driver for any version of Windows 10 because there is not really a keyboard driver as such that you can download and install. Windows itself handles the keyboard. As I said this has been happening on many different computers after the v. 1903 update. Many different suggested fixes and there is no single one that seems to always work. I think what you have is a corrupt installation of Windows. 

Try going back to the previous version:

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

An easier thing is to open device manager, look for the keyboard as a device and uninstall it then reboot. This is easy to do but has a very small likelihood of success. 

Do you have a usb keyboard you can use to navigate around until we figure out how to fix this?

HP Recommended

I have gone back to the prior version of Windows and continue to use the computer. This is the 4th time I have dealt with this situation, the 3 last times I gave up however I keep receiving the notice below so I did the update in hopes that they have the keyboard issue fixed.

Your version of Windows has reached end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements.

When speaking to Windows they said I have 3 more months to figure this out.

Do you have a phone number that I can use to reach HP tech support to get further assistance?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.