Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When on Battery Power Notebook Shuts off after 3-5 Minutes

HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP 15 Notebook PC (N5Y09UA#ABA).  On August 15, 19 I did the Windows 10 home, Version 1903 update and since I did the update, my notebook works fine on the AC adaptor and charges, but when I take it off the adaptor it will stay on battery power for 3-5 minutes and shut down.  When I try to power back up on battery it will not turn on, but once I put it back on the adaptor it will start up.  I check the battery power and it is usually around 90%-95% before turning off.  When I hook it back on adaptor and turn it back on it is still around the same.  Everything was fine until I did the update.

I tried going back to a restore point, but since it has been past the 10 days, it will not allow me to do so.  I have done a battery power test and shows the battery is fine.  Checked for updates and again all shows up-to-date.  I did remove the battery from the Notebook for a few hours and put it back in, but still the same issue.  I am not sure if this a hardware, software or conflict with the update, but it is rather frustrating.  I have found nothing in community pertainling to the HP 15 Notebook Pc with this issue.

HELP, I don't like being stuck on the adaptor as it will probably cause more issues with the battery.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3,778 3,521 234 260
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When on Battery Power Notebook Shuts off after 3-5 Minutes

@rkski, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Reinstalling Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Restart the computer and check.

If the issue persists, I recommend you update the BIOS, click here

Also, run the battery test on the PC

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. Perform Component Test > Battery test. Share the result on your next post.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation