Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i am unable to find USB 3.0 Ports on my HP Pavilion dv6-6158nr notebook.

Please tell on which side these ports are located and how can i get maximum speed out of them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Hanazir,

You are going to love this.

Get a bright light and shine it on the left side of the notebook.

Now get a magnifying glass and look carefully next to the USB ports.

The 3.0 ports are marked with the "SuperSpeed" logo. "SS"

Similar to this, but very, very tiny!

usb_ss.PNG

To get maximum speed, use only with usb 3.0 devices - external drives, usb sticks, etc., made to run with this technology. 

There is no harm in using the USB3 ports with usb 2 devices.  In most cases, the USB 2 devices work as intended when connected to a USB 3 port.  There are rare instances where the USB 2 device may fail to work when attached to a USB 3 port.  Before blaming the notebook / desktop or even the port, and if your notebook lacks a USB 2 port, then consider connecting a USB 3 hub that supports one or more USB 2 ports and try that.  A few specialty USB 2 devices require the USB 2 connection - deal with it.

Dragon Tips

USB 3 External Drives:  Connection lag, more or less depending on your hub, your system hardware, and your drive can add up to an unacceptable delay when using a USB 3 hub in conjunction with the USB 3 port.  Huh?  Unless it is necessary, do not use a USB 3 hub with an External USB 3 drive - connect the USB 3 drive directly to your USB 3 port on the computer.

Other usb 3 devices work well on the SIIG 7port USB 3.0 / 2.0  Hub - it's a very fine quality device, IMO, and supports its own power supply.  Nice.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Hanazir,

You are going to love this.

Get a bright light and shine it on the left side of the notebook.

Now get a magnifying glass and look carefully next to the USB ports.

The 3.0 ports are marked with the "SuperSpeed" logo. "SS"

Similar to this, but very, very tiny!

usb_ss.PNG

To get maximum speed, use only with usb 3.0 devices - external drives, usb sticks, etc., made to run with this technology. 

There is no harm in using the USB3 ports with usb 2 devices.  In most cases, the USB 2 devices work as intended when connected to a USB 3 port.  There are rare instances where the USB 2 device may fail to work when attached to a USB 3 port.  Before blaming the notebook / desktop or even the port, and if your notebook lacks a USB 2 port, then consider connecting a USB 3 hub that supports one or more USB 2 ports and try that.  A few specialty USB 2 devices require the USB 2 connection - deal with it.

Dragon Tips

USB 3 External Drives:  Connection lag, more or less depending on your hub, your system hardware, and your drive can add up to an unacceptable delay when using a USB 3 hub in conjunction with the USB 3 port.  Huh?  Unless it is necessary, do not use a USB 3 hub with an External USB 3 drive - connect the USB 3 drive directly to your USB 3 port on the computer.

Other usb 3 devices work well on the SIIG 7port USB 3.0 / 2.0  Hub - it's a very fine quality device, IMO, and supports its own power supply.  Nice.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

thanksss...dragon fur

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV6 - 3105tx Notebook pc has 3 USB ports only but it has 4 USB port holes.please show me where are USB 3.0 Prots on my HP pavilion DV6 3105tx notebook pc (silver)?
HP Recommended

@arulvaahini wrote:
HP Pavilion DV6 - 3105tx Notebook pc has 3 USB ports only but it has 4 USB port holes.please show me where are USB 3.0 Prots on my HP pavilion DV6 3105tx notebook pc (silver)?

Hello arulvaahini.

On the left side of the notebook you will notice that one USB port is slightly larger than the other.  This is a combination "USB/e-SATA" port.  The rest are normal USB ports.  Nothing indicates to me that any of the USB ports are USB 3.0.  It isn't even mentioned in the specifications.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I would classify myself as a person of sufficent knowledge about computers to do quite a bit on them. I now feel like one of the biggest dumba*ses to walk the planet because i didnt know this and tryed using a bit of common sense to figure this out. turns out i must have little common sense. Thanks all the same. great answer lol :generic:

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip. This all started when I was looking for a 32g flash drive and found the USB2 versions had poor reviews, like `It took 23 hours to move my music files...` Don`t buy this flash drive from $%^£! So that turned my head towards the mystery of USB3 and thank you for solving this for me although when you think about it logically there are two ports on the right and one on the left, but hey being a bit thick at times these simple things don`t quite sink in at first!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.