Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gold (14-CE0595)

Hello,

my HP laptop is only two years old but would not start anymore. I took it to the shop where i bought it (PC World in the UK) who where so imcompetent and sat on my laptop for more than 2 months after which I lost it and just asked for the machine back without it being fixed. I then took it to a local PC repair shop who told me that the BIOS was corrupt. He could not fix the BIOS nor could he get a new motherboard for me. Where can I get a BIOS or motherboard for this machine? HP website sends me back to the shop where I bought the laptop which I want to avoid!

Thank you!

Marc

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Marc40 

Before you spend any money to attempt to replace the HP motherboard, you need to understand the issues involved with doing that.

First, HP does not sell new motherboards except for rare exceptions. If you use this link to go to the HP site and do NOT see your motherboard listed, that means HP does not sell it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/mo...

That means any motherboard you buy will be USED, having been taken from another PC. Those often do not work, or have internal problems that the seller does not disclose. So you spend a lot of time disassembling your laptop -- a very risky thing to do -- putting in the replacement motherboard, and then reassembling your laptop only to NOT have it work!

Also, the licensed Windows version that came preloaded on your laptop is an HP OEM Version -- and that license is tied to the original motherboard, not to the PC owner. When you toss away that motherboard, you toss away the license -- and HP will not provide you a second license. Since the versions of Windows you can buy will not activate with the embedded HP OEM license, you will have to buy a Retail version of Windows, and a license to go with it. You will then have to replace the installed Windows version on your laptop with the version you bought and license it. We are not able to assist in any of that work.

The bottom line is the process is a lot more difficult than simply swapping one part for another.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. The laptop is currently with a local pc repairer who told me that he could not source the motherboard anyway. However, he insists that there is nothing inherently wrong with the motherboard as such, but that the BIOS is corrupted. He tried to download a BIOS from the HP site, however, that does not seem to be the right one.

It's really hard to understand that it would be nigh impossible to fix the laptop. It's a £400 machine and only two years old. I specifically went for HP rather than ASOS or ACER as I thought the quality would be superior. I know you don't work for HP, so this is naturally not criticising you...

Thank you again!

Kind regards

Marc

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.