Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy X 360 15.6'
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

MotherBoard ViewMotherBoard ViewI wanted to upgrade Storage of my Laptop( 15t-w200)  from Mechanical to SSD. I  recently bought 1 TB Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology.  But I wasn't able to find an M2 Slot on my Motherboard.  Appreciate if someone could help me find the slot.

20201202_110145.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears to me that the M.2 slot is just to the right of the hard drive.

Look across the top of the hard drive to the right, and you will see the black slot.

However, I don't think a NVMe SSD is going to work.

HP ENVY x360 m6 ConvertibleModel numbers: m6-w000 – m6-w099Model numbers: m6-w100 – m6-w199HP ENVY x...

Unless I am missing something, chapter 1 of the service manual indicates that only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported, not NVMe.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

It appears to me that the M.2 slot is just to the right of the hard drive.

Look across the top of the hard drive to the right, and you will see the black slot.

However, I don't think a NVMe SSD is going to work.

HP ENVY x360 m6 ConvertibleModel numbers: m6-w000 – m6-w099Model numbers: m6-w100 – m6-w199HP ENVY x...

Unless I am missing something, chapter 1 of the service manual indicates that only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported, not NVMe.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot @Paul_Tikkanen

Guess i will have to get an M2 Sata,  Is there any restriction on GIGS that I could install. It says 256 GB could I go up to 1 TB. And any specific model that I should be looking at?

Can you also help me locate the RAM on the motherboard?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You should be able to go as high as 1 TB.

The drive sizes listed in the manual are just what HP offered in the model series.

In my opinion, this would be the best performing SATA drive for the money.  This is the 500 GB size.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, M.2 2280, Up to...

You will have to remove the motherboard in order to upgrade the memory.

See chapter 5, pages 42 & 43 for how to remove and replace the memory.

HP Recommended

Thank you! And again the one that you recommended would go to the right of the existing Harddrive. Is my understanding correct?

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That is correct.

Although the SATA drives have two notches cut into them, and NVMe drives only have one notch, and your notebook's M.2 slot has one key, both drives fit the same way.

The SATA drives other notch just doesn't make contact with some of the pins in the slot.

HP Recommended

Hello @ Paul_Tikkanen,

I installed the drive  (SSD) and everything works fine but Display Adapters ( Intel HD graphics 620) . I checked the error that's under device Manager it's error code 43. I tried to update drivers /uninstall device and re-install it. But the problem persists. I am unable to connect my external monitor to this device with HDMI Cable. 

Can you help with this too. 

Thanks in advance 

NODA

HP Recommended

Hi:

Glad the SATA M.2 drive worked as I advised.

Does your notebook only have the onboard Intel graphics adapter or does it have the Intel/Nvidia graphics?

Also, what model processor does your notebook have?

HP Recommended

Yes, the M2 SATA worked. And honestly, it's way faster than an old Mech HDD. 

Where can I Look for details regarding 'Graphics and Adapter'

Serial Number:[personal info removed]

Product Number: V9S71AV

model processor if you mean Intel i7- 7500 CPU @2.70 GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors.

Thanks

AD

HP Recommended

Hi:

Based on the product number you posted, your notebook only has the onboard Intel graphics.

Assuming you have installed the latest version of W10 (or at least v1709), see my knowledge base article at the link below for how to manually install the Intel graphics driver to the latest version.

Updating the Latest HD Graphics Driver from Intel...Skylake,... - HP Support Community - 7185608

In your particular situation, when you click to expand the display adapters device manager category, you may see a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter listed there if the Intel graphics driver did not install.

If you installed an older version of W10, it is too old for any of the Intel graphics drivers to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.