Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-ab002nb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to replace the original SSD with a bigger one. Which one is suited for my laptop?

SATA or NVMe , I don't know what's the difference and which one I must buy?

Which sorts/types can I use in my laptop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rayver

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted.

Have you checked the product's service and maintenance guide for details?

(Click here to access the same, if you haven't done that yet)

Meanwhile, I've listed below the parts tested and approved by HP:

M.2 SATA SSD, PCIe NVMe TLC - Part numbers
● 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA - 827560-026
● 256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products -  847109-002
● 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products - 847110-004

(The above-mentioned part numbers are universal and can be ordered on any local online store at your convenience).

(Go Crazy with the MODs, do what you love to your PC is what I say as an upgrade/custom enthusiast, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed above are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion).

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Rayver

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted.

Have you checked the product's service and maintenance guide for details?

(Click here to access the same, if you haven't done that yet)

Meanwhile, I've listed below the parts tested and approved by HP:

M.2 SATA SSD, PCIe NVMe TLC - Part numbers
● 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value PA - 827560-026
● 256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products -  847109-002
● 512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMe TLC PA, for use with non-touch screen products - 847110-004

(The above-mentioned part numbers are universal and can be ordered on any local online store at your convenience).

(Go Crazy with the MODs, do what you love to your PC is what I say as an upgrade/custom enthusiast, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed above are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion).

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I still have a few questions.

Can you explain what's the dufference between SATA & PCIe (ll M2)?

Which sort was the original SSD installed in factory?

I yesterday bought a new SSD (Western Digital - WD Blue SATA SSD M2 500 Gb) and HDD Seagate ST2000). Already installed and working fine. Restored the most recent backup and all seems to be correct.

HP Recommended

@Rayver

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

M2 SATA SSDs share the same NAND and controllers with their 2.5" counterparts so they are no faster than a regular 2.5" SSD.

NVMe drives are much faster and use the PCI-E bus so they can make use of that speed.

Really the only reason for the M2 SATA drives is for laptops or where space is at a premium.

That said, Click here to verify your product specifications - there doesn't seem to be an SSD on your PC (factory shipped), just the 1TB HDD.

I'm glad it's all working fine, if you have any other queries on concerns, feel free to get back to us.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your info. Accourding to your information my laptop has no SSD but I bought one with an original 128 Gb SSD and 1 Tb harddisk. They are now replaced with 500 Gb SSD and 2 Tb HDD. It took quete some time to find how to open the case but I finally got it done.

(NVMe drives are much faster and use the PCI-E bus so they can make use of that speed)

Above drives do they use a motherboard PCI slot or a special form of M2?

HP Recommended

@Rayver

Welcome back!

The M.2 is a special slot within the motherboard and your model has one, so it should be just fine,

If you have any other queries feel free to get back to us, also, the service and maintenance guide I had shared earlier has instructions on how to replace the same so, you could check that in your future endeavors.

Have a good day and Take care.

Good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.