Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
1WB97AV_1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I would like to know about HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop - 15t touch 1WB97AV_1. Which Thunderbolt 3 does it have? 4 lanes PCIe or 2?

Dell has a database for customers to read.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/qna44089/thunderbolt-3-40gbps-data-transfer-rate?lang=e...

It'd be great if HP can also provide one for us to read as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I browsed through HP product lineup and the most suitable for me is ultraportable Spectre (slim; professional use) with TB3 (to connect external GPU; leisure/gaming use). However, eGPU needs TB3 with 4 lanes, not 2 lanes (like Dell XPS), so I hope the aforementioned model has TB3 with 4 PCIe lanes.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Fauzan_B, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know the type of thunderbolt port on your PC.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

As you mentioned you would like to know the type of thunderbolt port on your PC.

I have tried to bring up the specifications of your laptop using the product number you have shared but I was unable to find any records using the product number.

So, please provide the serial number or exact product number of your PC to assist you better.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying.

I am not sure of exact product number or serial number; I haven't bought one yet. It's this product:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-x360-convertible-laptop-15t-touch-1wb97av-1

HP Recommended

@Fauzan_B, It's great to hear from you again. 

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Thanks for sharing the product details.

I have checked the specifications of the PC and there 2 thunderbolt ports on this laptop.

1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (Data Transfer up to 40 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DP1.2, HP Sleep, and Charge)

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DP1.2, HP Sleep, and Charge)

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MrRobot,

Your response is that of a robot I am afraid.  I am sure Fauzan_B and I were very capable of reading the specs on the page and didn't need them repeated to us.  The questions of 4 lanes vs 2 lanes is much more technical and is not addressed in your response.  The port may support 40GB of bandwish as claimed but this bandwith is shared between different protocols including USB, Display Port and PCIe traffic.  The total throughput of the port is 40GB when you combine all these factors, but our concern is how much of that 40GB is available to the PCIe traffic.  Each PCIe lane is 8GB, and so if the port has 2xPCIe lanes it supports 16GB and if the port has 4xPCIe lanes then it supports 32GB of traffic.  This is a key question for anyone considering using the HP Omen Accellerator as an external graphics card can easily use all 32GB of available bandwith in a 4xPCIe lane port and would be significantly  handicapped if the port only allowed 2xPCIe lanes.

Please reach out to the technology team to provide us a more accurate answer regarding the exact speciications of the Thunderbolt 3 port and how many PCIe lanes it supports.

Thank You

HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarification, MrSakamoto.

There are discussions in external forums such as reddit about the product that I found.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/5vg0l5/hp_spectre_x360_15_2017_kaby_lake_some_question...

All the sources that I found say this particular model (& many other models of HP spectre lineup) are 4 lanes. I hope HP makes a readeable database of TB3 lanes so that it's easier for customers to check its TB3 lane specifications, and judge its compatibility with eGPU (such as HP Omen Accelerator). 

I bought Dell XPS 15 a couple of days ago anyways, so HP Spectre will be on hold for now. I was too itching to buy an eGPU setup. :LaughingTears: It's 2 lanes, but I am content with it. I even tested eGPU with GTX1070 on it for half a day before making the purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHvPmrt9CU

The YouTube channel above also says 2 lanes for GTX 1070 doesn't bottleneck the performance too much.

Anyways, I hope to buy HP Spectre for my sons in not-so-near future, so that we can go Monster Hunting together. :generic:

HP Recommended

You sir, sound like an awesome dad. Hit it! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Yeah Fauzan_B, I have to agree. I wish HP was more transparent about their products and gave detailed specifications like other manufacturers such as Dell.

I really needed to know this kind of thing cause I'm also considering an eGPU. Well, thanks for the info that most Spectres have PCIe x4.

Happy gaming,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thanks for beginning to address this promptly.  🙂

The serial number is:  [edited]

Product Number is:  5GQ93UA

Model: Spectre Folio 13  or 13-ak0015nr

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.