Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ForPeteSake
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why was warranty repair fobbed off until machine was out of warranty?

HP Notebook - 17-ca0007na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The left-hand hinge on my wife's HP Notebook - 17-ca0007na notebook - appeared loose and the weight of the display caused the unsecured hinge to move independently, damaging the inside of the laptop, cracking the corner of the bottom case. I contacted HP Support who explained that as it was likely to be mechanical damage caused by the customer it was therefore outside the scope of the warranty. They offered to repair the laptop at a substantial fee (£240) for transport and repair. As we were unable to afford it we had to leave the matter.  A few months later the warranty expired so I decided to take a look inside myself and started to remove the bottom case by taking off the rubber feet. After first removing the upper rubber strip (the one closest to the screen) I noticed that the hole for the screw which secured both the bottom case and the left-hand hinge was missing. This from under a rubber foot which was very securely glued in place and had not been removed before.

In short I am annoyed that we could not get this issue repaired (wrongly attributed to a cause outside of warranty) because it was hidden and would not have been discovered unless we sought to open the laptop...thereby invalidating the warranty. Either way I have to pay for an HP manufacturing defect. As someone who had been a loyal HP customer I feel cheated, especially as I recommended HP over my wife's original choice of manufacturer.  

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,587 22,544 1,891 3,012
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Why was warranty repair fobbed off until machine was out of warranty?

@ForPeteSake I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation