hazardsneon
6 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi Card Upgrade

EliteBook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just recently bought an Intel 3160HMW because I've upgraded another PC of mine with it with good success.  I installed it in my 8560w and when I boot, I get an error saying that there is an "Unsupported WLAN Module" and it will be disabled.

I was able to install it with it booted and running and it installed and it worked perfectly but when I rebooted, it gave me the error and disabled it without an option in Windows to enable it.

I didn't know until after my issues about the HP whitelisting for hardware and I'm guessing that this module is not on that whitelist.

I really want to upgrade to a card with Bluetooth and Dual Band Wifi to keep it up with the latest networking.  I saw in the manual that there are like 3 or 4 "approved" wifi modules and none of them have built in bluetooth or dual band.

Are there any more modules that are approved that are not listed in the manual on the HP website?

Also, I don't want to mess with USB dongles.  I already have a 4.0 Bluetooth dongle and want to get rid of it for a built in module.

2 REPLIES 2
Level 20
Level 20
113,011 103,188 16,204 24,897
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi Card Upgrade

Hi:

Unfortunately, there aren't.

Your notebook has the BIOS whitelist, so you have to use one of the wlan cards listed in the manual.  And the wlan card must have the HP part number on it or it will not work.  I usually go on eBay and query by the part number, and only buy an item that clearly shows the white "Replace with HP Spare' sticker with the P/N on the label.

Your only option as I see it, would be to get the best intel card listed...the 6300 (if your notebook has 3 antennas), and the optional bluetooth module. Otherwise get the 6205.

The 6300 and 6205 are dual band wlan cards without bluetooth.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-ultimate-n-6300.html

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6205.html

The problem is that the required bluetooth cable is not sold separately and is part of the cable kit.

See chapter 3 of the service manual for the BT module part number and the cable kit part number.

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03424153-1.pdf

Chapter 4 has the R&R procedures for the BT module and cable.

You might be lucky, and the BT cable is already included in your notebook.

silverchairbg
Level 2
19 16 0 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi Card Upgrade

Is there a way to request for a bios update that removes the whitelist? It makes all the sense in the world since the 8570w is almost identical as hardware and features and it doesn't have whitelisting. I see bios for the 8560w has been updated late 2016, so another update just removing the whitelist would be wonderful.

@Paul_Tikkanen: as a valued member, can you give us advise if/where we can do that?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation