Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
A3M99PA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can anyone please tell me if HP 630 Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) supports SATA III, and what is the thickness/height of the HDD I should replace with? 7 mm, 9 mm, or 9.5 mm?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BSVijayAnand

Welcome to HP Support Forum. SATA III is backward comoatible therefore the HP 630 series of laptop supports SATA III HDD's and also supports

Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) hard drives in 9.5- mm (.37-in) and 7.0-mm (.28-in) thicknesses

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

It should be sata III with 6Gb/sec. You can check this with PC Wizard in the heading drive controller features. If the bandwidth is 6Gb/s it is sata III:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pc_wizard.html

From service manual we can see that the PC supports:

Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) hard drives in 9.5- mm (.37-in) and 7.0-mm (.28-in) thicknesses

So you can use any 2,5" hard drive. If you opt for SSD you will have a great performance gain. 

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi, @BSVijayAnand :

It depends...

Some HP 630's have the Mobile Intel Series 5 chipsets, and the drive controllers will have a max transfer speed of 3.0 MB/S, and as Banhien posted, will work with a SATA III (6.0 GBP/S) drive, but only at the 3.0 GB/S transfer speed.

Some HP 630's have the Mobile Intel Series 6 chipsets, and the drive controllers will have a max transfer speed of 6.0 MB/S, as iomare posted.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply/info - See if you can make out further details regarding the same - My Laptop Model - HP 630 - Model Number: LV971UT Product Number: A3M99PA#ACJ

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I found this model on a retail website.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=225007

If this seems to match the specs your PC has, then yours actually has a Mobile Intel Series 4 chipset and the drive controller will have a max transfer speed of 3.0 GB/S (SATA II).

According to the quickspecs for your model below, some actually do come with the Mobile Intel Series 4 chipsets (page 4).

http://whp-cpq.extweb.hp.com/cpq-products/quickspecs/13963_na/13963_na.pdf

Don't let the slower transfer speed dissuade you from getting a SSD.

I have one in my HP 6930p business notebook with the same chipset as yours and it runs circles around the 7,200 RPM mechanical hard drive the notebook originally came with.

Not to mention, you can always transfer the SATA III SSD to a newer notebook or desktop PC one day, and if it has a SATA III interface, you will be very happy you got the faster SSD.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.