Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15z-eh000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will I be able to run a samsung 970 evo nvme 1T drive in laptop 15z-eh000?  Any report of issue?

Incidentally, what is the part number to the factory 1T nvme drive that the 15z-eh000 offers?

I understand that 15z-eh000 comes with an NVME drive, but will it be able to take a Sata M.2 drive?

Thanks,

George

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

1 TB, PCIe L85370-005 is the part number of the factory 1 TB NVME drive. If you order it from HP it will be much more expensive than retail alternatives and hard to say exactly what they would send you. Likely an OEM Samsung M.2 not likely the 970 Evo Plus. 

HP has posted this Service Manual on the home page, which seems to be for a different model but all the specs and such are consistent so apparently also applies to the 15z-eh000 CTO series that you have. 

Manual 

The M.2 slot is the only storage option. It will take an NVME 2280 form factor M.2 or a SATA if you wish. The Samsung 970 Evo will work fine. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I'm really scared that the Samsung 970 evo nvme will overheat in a laptop... what do you think?  There's been lots of words on the internet that nvme drives get really hot, and some fail within a year or so...  My old sata ssd 2.5" is running really cool, and I love it.  I'm having qualms about this laptop and nvme.  Really wished it had the sata port.  Do you know if a nvme will be able to boot to windows in an external enclosure?

What does CTO stand for?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

CTO = Custom to Order. No you cannot boot to an external enclosure. My personal laptop has a Samsung 970 Evo Plus as does the workstation at my office and about 10 other laptops and desktops I have built or set up in the last couple years. NVME perhaps runs a bit hotter than SATA M.2 but not enough to be a concern. If you are really worried get one of the paste-on heatsinks and add it onto the NVME after installation. Your laptop is designed for an NVME M.2 SSD so its configured to deal with any heat issues. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.