Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion dm1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a dell Inspiron 3521 charger and I was curious if it’s charger would work on my hp. The hp’s charger outputs 18.5v and 3.5amps. My dells charger outputs 19.5v and 3.34amp. Would they work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Haitch_Pea 

There are two issues far more serious than the rating of the charger.

The first is plug compatibility.  I have a DELL with a charger and unlike with the HP charger, the plug has a male terminal that inserts into the charger port.  The HP charger does not have that.  So basically, the plugs are not interchangeable.

The second is polarity of the plug.  It is a DC output, meaning the outside of the plug is one polarity (plus or minus), the inside is another.  If the polarity is the reverse of the HP jack, and you force the plug in, it will FRY the HP!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Haitch_Pea 

There are two issues far more serious than the rating of the charger.

The first is plug compatibility.  I have a DELL with a charger and unlike with the HP charger, the plug has a male terminal that inserts into the charger port.  The HP charger does not have that.  So basically, the plugs are not interchangeable.

The second is polarity of the plug.  It is a DC output, meaning the outside of the plug is one polarity (plus or minus), the inside is another.  If the polarity is the reverse of the HP jack, and you force the plug in, it will FRY the HP!

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I had suspicions of the polarity being different. when I checked the chargers they were different. thank you for telling me about this

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.