Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bs164tu LAPTOP

Hi,

I use HP Laptop 15-bs164tu. :Laptop:

I want to expand my RAM. ( 4GB + 8GB = 12 GB )

I currently have " 4GB DDR4-2666 / PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM " in one slot on "HP 832A Motherboard." I saw a cheap option "Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM CT8G4SFS824A" .

• Will it be compatible with my Laptop ?
  • Also it is 2400Mhz but my current RAM is 2666Mhz, so will this upgrade slow down my existing memory ?
  • if so, will be significantly slow ?

Ram Hardware Details 01Ram Hardware Details 01

RAM more details

Crucial 8GB  RAM, I intend to purchaseCrucial 8GB RAM, I intend to purchase

Please Help ? :Crying:

-Maddy
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Acording to this manual HP 15 Laptop PC (Intel) HP 15g Laptop PC HP 15q Laptop PC - Maintenance and Service Guide your notebook only calls for PC4-2400 for 8th Gen Intel Core CPU. PC4-2666 is overspec. It would only run at 1200MHz bus speed in your machine not 1333MHz spec.

So your Crucial RAM will work with it in single-channel mode at the same 1200MHz speed. To achieve dual-channel mode, you need 2 similar if not identical RAMs in both slots.

Follow the procedure as in Page 50 of the above manual for opening your notebook.

** I don't work for HP ** Click Blue Thumbs Up icon below if you like my answer
HP Recommended

But my Hardware analysis tool, clearly states that 4GB Memory which came built into my laptop runs at 2666Mhz. Please refer scrrenshot in the question.

My question is that I want to use both RAM 4GB & 8GB together. SO if I use 2400 in first slot & 2666 in next slot, and use it together will I get a smooth performance of 12GB RAM.

-Maddy
HP Recommended

Looks to me the screenshot is showing the memory profile: type and speed and so on. Download cpu info tools like CPU-Z to see the actual running speed. Check the Memory/SPD tabs.

Unless the user guide is wrong, If the notebook is designed to run at bus speed of 1200MHz , the memory modules would be clocked at 1200MHz. So your 8GB and 4GB should both run at 1200MHz in single channel mode.

Now if the notebook is designed to run at 1333MHz, then the DDR4-2400 will not work.

** I don't work for HP ** Click Blue Thumbs Up icon below if you like my answer
HP Recommended

CPU-Z 01 SPD tabCPU-Z 01 SPD tabCPU-Z 02 Memory TabCPU-Z 02 Memory Tab

-Maddy
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.